Rechargable batteries in an SB-600?

TamiyaGuy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, me again, with another stupid and easily answerable question :lol:

I am finally thinking of getting a better flash for my camera, or to be more precise, a Nikon SB-600. I'm actually getting it tomorrow, but before I do, I would like to ask a question.

Can you use rechargable Nickel Metal-Hydride (NiMH) batteries in flashes, and if so, is there any difference between using these and Alkalines? I've heard in many places that using rechargables in sensitive electrical equipment can damage it, so will it happen with my beloved 600?

Thanks!!! You guys are fantastic :hail:

I used to use rechargeable, but found that normal Duracell's recycle faster when used at full blast.

I've used rechargeables in my SB-800 with no ill-effect. Slight difference in delay, but not worth worrying about. I do carry extra alkalines and NiMHs with me in camera bag anyway.

So it does no damage? OK, that's fine. I can get a charger and 8 batteries for free anyway, so I'll stick with chargables. Thanks!

No damage. I just saw some eneloops in Costco for $20/4 AA and 2 AA batteries. If I had not already 4 sets of energizers, I would jump on them like a hungry pig to slop... lol.

In fact, I still may do that.

I lately shot a party with the 5 battery option on my SB-800... and did over 450 pictures on the SAME batteries and a recharge rate of under 3 seconds AFTER 450 pics.

I love my SB-800, and there is 100% another one coming to me in the future.

I use Energizer rechargables in my sb-600. I have four sets and two chargers, Sams club has them for $26 right now, which includes 8AA's 4AAA's and a charger. Not too bad IMHO. I have heard really good things about the Energizer E2 lithiums too, but I don't have any experience with them.

Use rechargeables...they work great and are much better for the environment than alkaline batteries.

Alkalines do tend to recycle the flash faster when they are fresh...but they also tend to slow down quite a lot when they get to half power. Plenty of times, I use had to take alkaline batteries out of the flash because it's too slow...but I can still use them for a long time in light duty uses (TV remote etc).

NiMh batteries will keep the recycle speed more consistent until they are almost dead.

The new 'Eneloop' rechargeables are good because they don't loose their charge while sitting around, like the standard NiMh ones do.

Thank you so much, Big Mike! Well, thanks to everyone who posted as well, but Mike the most :p.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the US, so all of these wonderful offers you're telling me about are redundant :'(. Also, I have a ton of Maplin's vouchers left over, so I can get an intelligent charger + 4 2,400mAh AA's and an extra 4 2,000mAh AA's for free, essentially. I know I could get some fancy, top-of-the-range ones, but I don't want to spend the cash. How do these look?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45804&&source=14&doy=9m4

and the extra batteries:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45787&doy=9m4 (the 2,000mAh ones)

Like I said, I know these aren't the best, but surely they're up for the job and better than a bajillion alkalines?

Thanks!

Thanks, guys. That was all I wanted to hear :D

I have rechargables too. :biggrin:

Well, I got the SB-600 yesterday, and I love it. The bounce flash just makes my shots look so natural!

However, almost all of my photos are looking slightly underexposed; the histogram barely touches the right hand side. Flash compensation fixes this, but does anyone else have it?

Edit: The photo comes out fine if I have the "Auto ISO" mode on in the camera, or if I ovexpose (via the Flash) about +1EV, it's fine. So why do the default settings make it underexposed?

Most reactions

Back