What's new

Recomendation for a Strobe for shooting indoors and outdoors

chartreuseshoes

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
New Paltz, NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am looking for a relatively inexpensive strobe to be used for shooting wall murals inside and outside of buildings. I am a college student, so I don't have a lot of money but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about lighting equipment I could get.
Thanks!
 
Welcome to the forum.

Wall murals don't usually move, so you could probably get away with ambient light and a tripod.

Do you want something to use on-camera or off-camera?
 
I was thinking off camera, so I could make sure the light is hitting the right places, so I don't end up with harsh shadows depending on the natural light in the room.. I guess I want something that I can use more as a fill light.
 
Welcome aboard. LOVE YOUR NAME!
 
I have recently begun looking at the $349, 160-watt-second Excalibur monolight with AC power capability, and which comes with a portable external battery that looks a lot like the Quantum-style sealed, lead-acid batteries with belt clip and lugs for a shoulder strap.
Given the size of the reflector, this AC-DC, indoor-outdoor monolight flash looks like the best bag-for-buck,and it has been on the market for years now. I ran into a traveling photographer a few years back who showed me his mobile van, which was equipped with these,and he really liked them.

The other POWERFUL speedlight solution is the Sunpak 622 Super for $199 for the handle and body, and another fifty dollar bill or so for a head; it accepts up to six or seven different head styles. The Super Zoom head is versatile, and it has the power, in terms of actual Guide number, of many 400 watt-second flash units. I have a 622 Super, which is the most-powerful handle mount speedlight ever made--it will light up an entire mural at night with no problems,and it is portable. Older, low-tech, but it has a built-in tripod thread for mounting, and is very powerful for its weight,and it works at much longer distances than any whimpy little shoe-mount flash--it is over twice as powerful as an SB 900 or 580 EX-II, for half the price roughly. USed with a ceiling bounce, it can light up an entire room that is 20x20 with 16 foot ceilings and deliver an f/8 exposure at ISO 400 anywhere in the room,all on battery power.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom