Recomendations for a travel tripod

Jono

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Decided its time to buy a decent travel tripod, with motorsport I dont use one, but getting into night shots more so need one for that and I want a travel type because I do move about quite a bit and want light weight. I have a budget of around £70 - £80 set aside.

Was looking at this tripod:

Slik Sprint Pro2
sprintpro23way.jpg

It was given the Gold award on test in Practical Photography (IIRC) this month, but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience or any other suggestions.

Thanks

For travel I would look for a set of carbon-fibre legs and small ballhead. My travel unit is a set of Manfrotto 055 legs in CF with a 488 ballhead. Light, and with the four-section legs it collapses to a fairly small package. I would shy away from that particular Slik just because of the tilt-pan head vice a ball head. Takes up more room and is less versatile - there are some nice Slik units though.

it comes with that head or a ball head (ball actually about £5 cheaper from what I can gather), do you think that would be a reasonable tripod with the ball head?

Depends; I can't read the specs from the graphic you've posted, but a general rule of thumb is that you should buy a tripod/head which will support at least twice (at an absolute minimum 1.5x) the weight of the heaviest gear you will mount on it. Remember this is going to support your most expensive gear - not the place to save money!

my travelling combination:
Camear: D3s
Tripod: GIZTO GT1541T 600usd
Ballhead: Sunwayfoto DB-36TR 200usd
Camera plate: Kangrinpoche ...

expensive?? for long run, this combination will cost me and you less.
IMG_0982.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back