What's new

Recommend a close up len-D90.

Terminator

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
New Delhi
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi ,
I am new to the world of SLR's & to Photoforum.

As a matter of pride,I now own a D 90 ,which hence landed me up to this forum.

I look forward to have a quality time with all you like minded photography freaks...lol.

Well to begin with,I am in a grave need of a macro lens (in which I don't want to invest currenty)
& hence looking for a quality close up lens (not an extension tube)which can churn out some wonderful macros from my 18-105 kit lens.

Please suggest me the best suiting close up lens.
I have heard some good about Canon 500D lens,however its not in 67mm mount.

How about brands like Hoya,Kenko & lensbaby??
 
Last edited:
I really tried answering but the way you put it makes it difficult.
I think you got some facts wrong.
You said d90 (im assuming Nikon d90)
You asked about "closeup lens (not extension tube)"
Then you put in a Canon 500D lens? 67mm mount? (500d is a canon body)
hoya kenko ? (filters)

Welcome to the forum.
 
Welcome Terminator

The Canon D500 close-up lens (500D is a camera body) is a very good choice for a close-up lens. I actually own and have used the Canon D500 close-up lens.

The brand of lens you use is irrelevant since it screws onto the end of the lens. I believe you are correct the 18-105 kit lens has a 67 mm thread which will fit the 67mm Canon D500 close-up lens just fine.

True, it is a less expensive alternitive for macro images, but if you find yourself getting into mocro more and more, look at getting a true macro lens.


Ralph
 
If you're looking to save $$, you might want to look into an older manual focus lens, like the 60mm ais f2.8 micro nikkor, or the 105mm ais f4 micro nikkor.

These lenses won't meter with the d90, but that's not a bit deal for macro work, which is typically pretty methodical.
 
The Canon close up lens (or diopter) indeed is 500D, not D500. And from what I read, it is not bad. Review






The other popular one is Raynox DCR-250
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really tried answering but the way you put it makes it difficult.
I think you got some facts wrong.
You said d90 (im assuming Nikon d90)
You asked about "closeup lens (not extension tube)"
Then you put in a Canon 500D lens? 67mm mount? (500d is a canon body)
hoya kenko ? (filters)

Welcome to the forum.

Hey,
Its Nikon D90 & sorry about 500D,(I am aware of it being a camera body)however this influenced my knowledge:

Canon 500D Close-up Lens Review
(Let me know if this lens exists:confused:)

Also I wanted to know the performance of close up lenses from Hoya & Kenko in comparison to Canon 500D lens.

I hope I am clear now;)

I would appreciate if someone could comment on its compatibility with 18-105 lens.
 
Out of interest why are you not wanting an extension tube setup? With the 18-105mm you would most likley gain more magnification from using extension tubes on it than you would with a close up lens (unless you get one with a very high diopter power rating and then its going to cost you more than a good set of extension tubes).


Extension tubes and the close up lenses will work the very same way - removing infinity focus and limiting you to a much shorter distance that you can focus upon (thus can be anything from a few meters to a few centimeters depending on how much tube length/diopter power you add and on the focal length of the lens used).
Both also give you increased magnification by letting you focus closer to the subject you are photographing.
 
I agree with Overread, extension tubes are very cost friendly and can be a wonderful asset. Not to mention given your lens and a a full tube set, you'll have a very good range of equipment to get various macro shots :)
 
@overread & David:

Thanks for your guidance & suggestion for extension tubes.
However What I have learnt is that extension tubes increse the F stop a couple of steps & with a lens like a 18-105(3.5 to 4.5),
it would turn it pretty slow in low light.
I also intend to buy a Nikkor 70-300 in near future,so hopefully 500D would go very well with that as it being a longer lens.

Perhaps I will buy a 77mm mount of 500 D & use a 67>77 step up to bring it to use.
I am just concerned,if 500D is the right choice in its league.
 
Have you looked into reverse mounting? I have done it and can get anywhere from 1x to 3x magnification depending on my setup. You do loose the brains of the camera but that is no issue. You shoot manual and focus by moving the camera back and forth.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom