Recommend a lens - 350d

Urban Grimshaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Christmas is looming and I've been asked what I want...

I have a Canon EOS 350d with the kit lens, which I started a topic about a while ago, because, frankly, it's dire. I think I grabbed the short straw in the quality department.

So, I'm hoping Santa might bring an improvement to my camera in the shape of a replacement lens.

Any recommendations?

I'm not entirely sure whether to go for the same zoom range as the kit or to go for a telephoto, which, since my kit lens is still usable, could add some fun to my camera. So, no specifics, what performs?

And I know you get what you pay for, but cheap as possible please, it ain't my money. It's Santa's.

The most obvious first question would be "what is your budget?" cheap is all relative. Then what is it you like to shoot? This is a very general question with such a wide variety of answers.

50mm f1.8 is cheap but nice Image Quality.

28-135mm IS is a well received walk around lens for more.... (a bit lacking in the wide angle

then there is the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS lens for even more

then there is the 24-70 f2.8L or 24-105 f4L iS for way more

then there is the 70-200 f2.8L IS for slightly more than those...

then there is the 100-400mmL for those that like the long zoom.

then there is... 300 f2.8 IS for those wildlife/sports photographers with deep pockets

then there is my default answer for those looking for a good set of primes: 24mm L, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm L

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or purchase any of the lenses above... all good.. depending.

If budget is really tight... try looking used for good bang for buck buys. I have an old Tamron 35-105 f2.8 Asph that I really like and probably goes for under $200 now a days... a bit hard to find.

I've been looking through the threads and the 50mm seems to be recommended a lot, so I'll look into that.

Because I don't have loads of money for a range of lenses though, I would prefer a zoom.

As for price, and I know I'll probably get laughed at, around £100. Like I say, it's not my money. Thing is, my kit lens, I find is really below par on quality, not sharp at all. So I just want something sharp but I don't have anything particular in mind for the focal length. Just something versatile, although I'd maybe be willing to keep the kit and add a telephoto.

Unbelievable.

I've been seething over this lens for about 2 years now. Not for one second, up until now, did I ever think of trying my 35mm EOS 300 kit lens. I'm yet to make a proper comparison, but I just fired off a few shots and it looks much better. I was absolutely certain the autofocus wouldn't work. It does.

I don't know whether to be annoyed at my own stupidity, or happy that I have a lens that produces decent images.

Is there anything I should be aware of using the 35mm kit lens? Any drawbacks?

If not, then I may well tell Santa to bring me a desperately needed flash.

lol no. the lens is perfectly fine, and the same as you would have bought for your 350D anyways. They all have the same lenses...

You lucked out.

Unbelievable.

HEHEh lol... don't fret.... you are not the only person I've met that thought their older EOS lenses wouldn't work with their newer canon EOS DSLRs. There should be no issues.... as you discovered... prime lenses (because of their simplicity) usually produce very high quality images. Zooms give up in image quality to give the convenience and flexibility of variable focal length.

You'll have to spend a lot on a very high end zoom to approach the image quality of a much more affordable prime.

When I say 35mm I mean from my 35mm film camera. It's actually a 28-80 zoom, so I guess I'll be losing the wider side of things, but if it produces good shots, I'm happy.

The kit lens that came with my 350d, I think, was an unfortunate underperformer from the batch and I've been waiting to get rid of it ever since I got it.

There you go. Now take that money you just got for Christmas and save up for a zoom med-telephoto zoom or the 50 f/1.4. Maybe by your Birthday.

Most reactions

Back