Recommend a macro lens

PhotoriousMe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I plan on getting a macro lens in the near future so I'm hoping to get some recommendations. It would be for very close up macro work like insects and such. I don't want to break the bank with a professional quality lens so decent third party glass would probably do. I have a Nikon 7100 and my budget would top out at around $500 + tax.

Dave

Well I bought my 60mm f/2.8 G micro for about that. For insects it works fine as long as the critters are not skittish as you will be close. Most insects don't seem to mind a lens right on top of them.

The Tamron 90mm macro is also in your budget and has had good reviews, this will give you a bit more room between the lens and the subject.

There may be some Nikon 105mm G micros out there at your price in the used market.

Well I bought my 60mm f/2.8 G micro for about that. For insects it works fine as long as the critters are not skittish as you will be close. Most insects don't seem to mind a lens right on top of them.

The Tamron 90mm macro is also in your budget and has had good reviews, this will give you a bit more room between the lens and the subject.

There may be some Nikon 105mm G micros out there at your price in the used market.

Thanks Dave, I will have to keep an eye on the used market between now and the time when I'm ready to buy. I will investigate those two lenses more closely.

Dave

...also I see the term micro used often. What is the difference between a macro and a micro lens?

Dave

micro makes more sense, but i belive the term is used interchangeably.

I've usually seen term micro on short focal length lenses (circa 40mm), but that doesn't mean anything really.

For insects I recommend you get a longer focal length (90-105 rather than 60). With the 60 you have to get close enough to the insects nd its easier to scare them off.

There are very few bad macro lenses. I have the Tamron 90mm vc, it is good. The front does not rotate and the lens does not extend when it focuses. Its older (non vc version of the tamron) brother is supposedly also excellent, some say sharper than the newer one. I have previously used a sigma 105mm macro also which was great, but the newer one with OS has pretty much gotten superb reviews everywhere and it not super expensive.

These long focal lengths double as a nice prime telephoto for outside portraiture and other uses, not just macro

Looks like I can get the NIKON AF-S DX MICRO 85MM F3.5G ED VR for just over $500 Cnd on sale.....mmmmmmmmmmm, should I.

Dave

Tokina 100mm f2.8 atx pro-d macro. You can find them used for around $350-400 which will leave you some extra $$$ for a speed light or extension rings.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help.....much appreciated. I have a much better chance of making the right decision for me now.

Dave

The 85mm micro is DX only and I had found the 60mm had better reviews, that was why I went with the 60mm over the 85mm.

Micro vs. Macro: Somewhere I read that Nikon used Micro for their lenses that go to 1:1 magnification. This is life-size so you are not making something small larger than it is. In reality the two words are interchangeable in photography as most companies use the word Macro for lenses that focus to 1:1 and some seem to use it for marketing.

Most reactions

Back