recommend me decent camera for low light pictures

samsimon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, Please recommend me decent camera for low light pictures (taking pictures in dark places, low light rooms - taking pictures of people on parties, events)? Can you recommend decent camera in range $300-$500
thanks

Hello, Please recommend me decent camera for low light pictures (taking pictures in dark places, low light rooms - taking pictures of people on parties, events)? Can you recommend decent camera in range $300-$500
thanks
Welcome to the forum.

Well without flash there's not much choice. The good low light performers are full frame and they are all over 3x your max budget. With your budget you will be looking for a camera and some kind of artificial lighting (basicaly a flash).

For $300-500 if you want a DSLR (can change lenses). Your pretty much stuck with any brands entry level camera. For instance a Nikon D3400 with a kit lens or two. Canon will have a similar level camera the Rebel T6. The D3400 is a good camera for its price point. I believe better than same priced Canon T6 Rebel camera. As the Canon T6 is same price point but has a much older sensor design. Still a decent camera if you want a Canon product.

It's been my experience that low light shooting without a flash first requires a very thorough understanding of the exposure triangle and the tradeoffs/compromises you'll have to make shooting 'live' action in low light. Second, you'll need a 'fast' lens that can open up to f2.8 or wider (lower f-stop #s), although f4.0 is usable in some situations. Third, you'll need a camera that can handle higher ISO speeds with minimal noise...3200, 6400, etc. Just because a camera is capable of, say, ISO 12,800 doesn't mean the results have acceptable levels of noise. And lastly, you'll need a good understanding of noise reduction methods in post processing, perhaps even buying a special noise-reduction add-in program.

For a body-only, I'd be looking at a used Canon 60D or 70D, even a 7D if the price is right. A Canon 6D would do better in low light, but used prices are in the $600 & up range.

if you brought $3,000 to $5,000 I could recommend you a full solution with lenses and flash and body.
$500 will barely get you the lens you need.

Second hand canon 5d mark I, second hand ef50mm f1.8 , yongnuo yn568 for canon. 500 is stretching this, but maybe

For your price range maybe a Nikon D3300or D3400 with a Nikon 50mm 1.8G or Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX

Most reactions

Back