Recommendation for new lens

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there - i currently own these variety of lenses: a Nikon 85mmf1.8; Tamron 17-50mm F2.8; Nikon 70-300mm VR 3.5-5.6 - IF I were to invest in another lens which should it be and WHY? (what will the results be in comparison to the lens I currently own)
I am shooting with the Nikon D80 and am awaiting the replacement of the 300s. My budget is limited. I shoot mostly family events; rec baseball and indoor volleyball

Do you find yourself unable to get certain shots because of the limitations of your current lenses?

What are you looking for in a new lens?

Looks to me you're pretty much all set. The money spent on good glass is usually worth more than money spent upgrading a camera body.

The only shortcoming I can see in your lens lineup is on the wide angle end, but you don't shoot anything that really needs wide angle.

I would go with a 80-200 2.8 or a 70-200 VR1 or VR2 if you can swing it. As others have pointed out, good glass goes a long way and if is well take care of, pro glass can last a looooooong time.

My favorite lens for volleyball is the 200 f2 Nikkor but its also not wallet friendly :(. The quality of the pictures which this lens produces is just priceless

Talk me out of a Nikkor 200mm f/2 G VR - FM Forums

I'm ALL for the 70-200mm 2.8 - i'm on a waiting list to get a good used one from a local camera shop. I'm gonna stick with the VR1 vs VR2 - does the battery grip you own worth its investment?

I'm ALL for the 70-200mm 2.8 - i'm on a waiting list to get a good used one from a local camera shop. I'm gonna stick with the VR1 vs VR2 - does the battery grip you own worth its investment?

Its comfortable, but with the extra battery is getting a little on the heavy side. I got an aftermarket grip and battery from amazon and it paid 55$ or so for both, so I think it was well worth it considering the original grip quote was 225$ not to mention if i happen to drop the camera it will most likely hit with the heavier side so the grip will take the damage :thumbup:

I am dieing for a 70-200 VR f2.8 though and if I got a nice tax credit but have to use it for the upcoming trip to Eastern Europe :(
Nice glass will last for ever if its well taken care of.

You should also consider an 80-200mm f2.8. There are three versions: a slow focusing single ring AF-D version (about $500 in mint condition), a fairly fast focusing dual ring AF-D version (about $700 in mint condition), and a quick focusing AF-S version (about $900 in mint condition). Optically these are all three slightly better then the 70-200mm VR1, and they're cheaper as well--you're only giving up VR, and perhaps some focusing speed if you go with the non AF-S versions.

Definitely a fast 70-200, the quality of these lenses these days are fantastic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back