recommendations for sites to register a domain and hosting?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have my current website through smugmug but since they raised their prices I have to find an alternative for next year, plus I want to register a new domain for a new venture of my business.

I normally use godaddy for the domain but they no seem to charge for email addreses on top of the domain fee, and ive heard lots of bad pr about them lately and none of the coupons seem to be working currently so I am hoping to get some advice on a great registrar and a great and cheap host!

I am currently thinking of using hostgator.com for the hosting, its pretty cheap each month for unlimited bandwidth and storage and I think ive heard good things about them in the past but im not sure.

Any tips or recommendations? Money is a issue. :)

Check out in motion hosting, I like them very much and is fairly inexpensive :)

Last edited:
I use PortfolioSitez for my website. One I purchased at GoDaddy and one at 1 and 1.

I switched to Hostgator about 3-4 years ago, after several recommendations. I've been very pleased with them and highly recommend them.

That deal for arvixe seems a bit to good? Most hosts charge $60 a year for hosting and then the domain is $15 a year through godaddy. whats the catch? :D so far they are winning. :)

I like the idea of square, hosting and design all in one place, but they charge more for less, 75% more a month for limited bandwidth and storage than hostgator. there are lots of free templates online I think *been told havent searched* so Ill probably have to keep looking.

I did look up Arvixe, can you confirm that its not down each day? And how did you get it for $60 for 2 years? It looks to be that for 1 year. And do you loose the domain when you switch hosts?

I want to move away from a picture host type host since they dont generally let you create custom layouts and pages with out charging a ton for it. I think 500px and zenfolio are also like that? I do all my pic viewing in person since online sales have sucked in the past, so the main pics on the page will be for portfolio purposes.

Has anyone tried google sites? I just discovered they offer hosting.

I use Godaddy - I havent had an issue with them so far..... they have been fairly quick in replying to my support ticket when it was an error I created lol.

I have my website with hostmonster they give you one free domain and it's about $120 a year Canadian probably cheaper for Americans as they are a US company. I used to pay $20 a year for my domain through go and had hostmonster hosting my site. But realized that transferring my domain name to them eliminated that $20 go daddy charge. Been with them 6 years very happy.

www.sandraadamson.com www.sandraadamson.blogspot.com

I gotta say Hostgator is pretty nice. I run a fairly popular vBulletin forum that consumes over 50GB of bandwidth per month, takes up 11GB of disk space, and runs some fairly CPU intensive scripts. This all runs off of Hostgator's "baby" plan and they have never complained. I ran the same site off Bluehost and they'd constantly suspend my account claiming that it was too labor intensive for their servers.

A lot of people can't believe I only spend $9 a month to host such a site...

Most reactions

Back