Recommended prosumer point n shoot?

NeverGlassImaging

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got myself a big heavy dslr, which is great for photo shoots, but not so great when I'm just out and about and want to snap shot. For a while I've been wanting to get a point n shoot, but a top of the line one with manual capabilities, raw etc.

I've considered the canon g10, but I've heard that its 14mpx was too much for the sensor size and so even though the resolution was higher the picture quality was degraded. I'm not sure about the g9.

I've heard good things about the Panasonic Lx-3 as well.

Any knowledgeable folks out there have a recommendation for a point n shoot that will give me more than amateur capabilities and quality?

I have the LX3 and it totally fits my needs. Fast lens, good low light shooting (for a P&S), good IQ, RAW, multiple exposure modes, and smaller than the G-series. My second choice was the G10 (or G9) but I needed something significantly smaller than my primary cameras to make it worth my while. Prior to the LX3, my P&S's were the G1 and G5. I also have a TZ5 which is not a high end P&S.. more like an all around super zoom.

Things I don't like: Short focal range (this is a big stopper for a lot of people), confusing menus (i got used to it) and no optical viewfinder. You can buy a viewfinder but they should have made a brightline viewfinder with both 24mm and 60mm brightlines. Someone wasn't thinking things through when they spec'd out the viewfinder.

You really can't go wrong with either.... if you feel that you need more focal range than 24-60mm effective, I highly would recommend the latest of the G-series.
Oh yeh.. one more dislike... stupid lens cap. I modified a ricoh lens cap that auto opens with the lens to fit the lx3. Google for suggestions on how to do this.

Any more specific questions.. please do ask...

...For a while I've been wanting to get a point n shoot, but a top of the line one with manual capabilities, raw etc.

I haven't shoot with any of the current crop, I still use my Nikon cp8400, but I'm currently researching a possible replacement.

The Panasonic LX3 and Canon G11 get good reviews and user feedback. Its interesting to note that Canon's G11 is slightly lower resolution than the older G10, possibly a nod to the G10's 14mp sensor being a bit too much for the small size.

You should also at least consider the new micro 4/3rds models from Olympus and Panasonic. These have much larger sensors than the P&S class camras and better IQ as a result. The Oly E-P1 (for Electronic-Pen 1) and the Panasonic GF-1 have a lot going for them. When used with their pancake prime lenses they are very much the size of the premium P&S models. The E-P1 does take a bit of bashing in the blogs about its "sluggish" response, but keep in mind that that's a comparison to DSLRs and not to P&S models, which are generally noticeably slower yet. The GF-1, though, is nearly as responsive as a good DSLR.

The Sigma DP-1 gets good reviews for quality as its has and excellent large sensor. Its not everyone's cup of tea since it has a fixed prime lens, no zoom and no interchangeability.

As much as I like the micro 4/3rds camera (I want a GF-1 used), they are way too large to be considered a P&S. The OP already has a Digital SLR, so I would surmise that a sacrifice in IQ for the compact take it everywhere size of a P&S is acceptable.

The Lumix GF-1 is a great Point n Shoot! Contrast based AF speed is super fast - as fast as DSLR phase detection AF. Sensor is 4/3" about 7x bigger than most Ponit n Shoot. It has a built in flash and hot shoe. Lens is interchangeable. I think it is a great little camera from the reviews I have read so far. I would get it with the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens.

I guess one thing the OP will have to decide is whether or not the P&S of choice has to be pocketable. I found the LX3 barely pocketable (lens sticks out even off) and the G10/9 requires a bag. At that point, I might as well carry my primary camera. The GF-1 is even larger. If the GF-1 is small enough then I would surmise the G-1 is even a better choice... at least you get a viewfinder.

Most reactions

Back