Recommended UV lens cover for lens protection.....

Calling it one and it actually being one are two different things.

Although I'll stand slightly corrected. Someone makes what they claim is a lens protector.

Although I'll stand slightly corrected. Someone makes what they claim is a lens protector.

So you claim to be more knowledgeable than Hoya on filters? In the end it is a physical barrier that will protect against small impacts and dirt. If ya want one go right ahead. Don't wnat one? Don't buy it.

I didn't claim anything of the sort. I did point out that there is no evidence that there is any impact protection however there is evidence to the contrary.

And I agree if you want one do it if not don't.

I have two uses for UV filters
1 it cuts down the reflection haze when using UV lighting
2 I use them on my lenses to prevent accidental finger marks on the front element

So you claim to be more knowledgeable than Hoya on filters? In the end it is a physical barrier that will protect against small impacts and dirt. If ya want one go right ahead. Don't wnat one? Don't buy it.

Well, I never believe anything a manufacturer says about their product. They have a vested interest in making you believe that you need to buy one.

Don’t care what side of the debate you’re on, this is just common sense.

Generally, this is a marketing angle that manufacturer's use to sell their products. Most of the pros I work around never use them, and if you take good care of your lenses, they simply become an additional and unnecessary layer of glass that the image has to go through and generally, people take poor care of filters anyway, so it becomes a covenant with futility.

What s the point of putting a £40 filter in front of a £700 lens, in over 40 years of photography I have never damaged the front of a lens.

I have two uses for UV filters
1 it cuts down the reflection haze when using UV lighting
2 I use them on my lenses to prevent accidental finger marks on the front element

#2 Yes! I find it much easier and safer to clean a filter than risk damaging the coating on the front element of the lens, especially in the field.

As you found out pretty quickly in this thread, you'll never get concurrence as to whether or not UV or clear filters provide any real protection or noticeably degrade image quality. For what it's worth, I use B+W 010 UV filters on most of my lenses, and started using B+W 007 clear filters more recently. I find they provide good protection from dust, debris, and other foreign matter when shooting outdoors, working with kids, or traveling, especially near the beach. I have never observed any degradation to image quality, except in long exposure night photography with strong point light sources, in which case it is easy enough to remove.

As you found out pretty quickly in this thread, you'll never get concurrence as to whether or not UV or clear filters provide any real protection or noticeably degrade image quality. For what it's worth, I use B+W 010 UV filters on most of my lenses, and started using B+W 007 clear filters more recently. I find they provide good protection from dust, debris, and other foreign matter when shooting outdoors, working with kids, or traveling, especially near the beach. I have never observed any degradation to image quality, except in long exposure night photography with strong point light sources, in which case it is easy enough to remove.
Thank you Adam

First, I'm a film shooter. I have never used a filter for "protection". I use specialty filters once in awhile (polarizer/star etc.) or colored filters when shooting BW. But a sturdy metal lens hood has saved the front of my lens a few times.

First, I'm a film shooter. I have never used a filter for "protection". I use specialty filters once in awhile (polarizer/star etc.) or colored filters when shooting BW. But a sturdy metal lens hood has saved the front of my lens a few times.

In regard to the star filter, you should never need one. A high quality lens will do this anyway. Example of this below. No filter. Shot in Madrid, Spain...

66632244_2289062474504939_6251716574575591424_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back