Red coat, frozen lake

idcanyon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are not my normal style...as in they are actually styled. I like them but I'm not sure if that's because they actually have some quality or if it's because they're just new and different to me. What do you think?

50mm f/5.6, 1/500 @ISO100. Blur added via Google's Nik Collection. I thought the rotating blur worked nicely with the spinning swing coat.

50mm f/2.8, 1/1000 @ISO50. Does selective color work here? I'm pretty sure I like it better than the straight black and white. Maybe there is actually something to it or maybe it's because I really like that coat on my lady.

I like them. Interesting, engaging images.

I don't mind the selective color at all. I admire you for posting it lol. All my selective color is done in secret, late at night, with nobody looking!

I love the second one. I get a bit of a motion sickness feeling from the first, as a result of blurring the background.

If you had shot the first one "naturally", getting a motion blur from her spinning coat and a slightly long exposure time, only the coat would be blurred, not the background. The background blur is what is making my lunch want to come up. Perhaps you could isolate the post-processed blur to just her coat?

On both, I wonder how it'd look if the selective color were more subtle. For instance, you could take a fully desaturated layer on top of the original background, and adjust the opacity (maybe 80% or something) to let a little of the background color come through. This might allow you to draw the attention to the coat while avoiding the obvious selective color approach (if that's something you wanted to accomplish).

Let me reiterate, I love the second one. The way her coat is, just really works for me.

I think the red and black work very well in both. Usually SC does nothing for me, but these work for some reason.

Thanks for the comments all. I'll consider the suggestions.
Just so you know, the first image is NOT selective color. Its a frozen lake and it just doesn't have much color.

I like the angle that you shot the first one from, something different from just straight on. The colour contrast between the jacket and frozen lake work for me, I like it. Could do without the background blur though.

For the second one, I think it would look great if you were to hang it up somewhere around your home. Nicely done!

Most reactions

Back