Red dot on D80?!

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my D80 decided to get me a present for New Year :( i photographed the whole party, came back home, opened up the shots and noticed that most of them had a red dot on them in the same place. Higher iso images seem to have it in most visible way.

Here is an example:
reddot01.jpg
reddot02.jpg

WTF?! :grumpy: Photos are not spoiled since it is easily removed, but WTF? And what should i do about it?

It appeared in the everning today. Morning photos were clear. I havent touched the camera between then. I tried wiping my filter, my lens and blowing dust of the insides. No chanhe.

it's a dead pixel, they're no biggie.

Actually, it is a stuck pixel.

I have one on my D80. If it is in warranty, Nikon will map it out for you at no charge. I have had it done on one before.

Alright. So what happens if they "map it out"?

It goes away (apparently).

Virtually all sensors have flaws on them, and they are mapped out at the factory... basically they just turn off that area of the sensor, and reroute the pixels.

Ok cool :) thanks for help!

but is it really worth the trouble? i'ts 1 pixel? BIG DEAL.

It bothers the hell out of me. Having to erase/ clone it out on all of my images might be a pain. I had one on my 40D and it went away after I removed the battery overnight. Canon calls it a "hot pixel" if it has color. Dead pixel if its black. Basically the photo site got over-charged and retained some electrical impulses I reckon. Anyhoo, the removal of the battery for a complete discharge of the device worked thus far. A factory fix would be like 2-3 weeks so i am glad I did n ot have to.

Try taking a dust-off reference picture. I think the D80 has this option. The camera may be able to map it out itself, although this is not what that feature was designed for.

Try taking a dust-off reference picture. I think the D80 has this option. The camera may be able to map it out itself, although this is not what that feature was designed for.

What am i supposed to do with that image? Just take it and thats it?

Alright... Now SOME WEIRD STUFF :confused::confused::confused:

Switched the camera to RAW + JPG. Took 3 pics. 3 JPG had red dots on them, but only 1 RAW. How is that possible???

Alright... Now SOME WEIRD STUFF :confused::confused::confused:

Switched the camera to RAW + JPG. Took 3 pics. 3 JPG had red dots on them, but only 1 RAW. How is that possible???
The pixel may just be dying slowly?

Try takin the battery out and leave it for a day. Maybe if it's allowed to discharge, it'll go back to normal.

Either way, you won't notice that pixel in most shots, will you?

I don't even see it when you blow it up....lol

lol :mrgreen: i see it and its annoying the hell out of me!

I tried leaving camera overnight, even tried grounding it up... Nothing.

Ok, several more observations. When i open NEF in Photoshop, i can actually see the dead pixel for a second, but then it goes away! If i reopen the same file, i dont see it again, only new files work. If i switch preview off, i still dont see it. WHATS GOING ON?! Conspiracy theory? :) Photoshop magic? :D

I have had a green pixel in a few shots before, but I can tell you unless you blow the picture up to size greater than maximum quality you won't see it, and if you wanted to have the picture that big, then a simple edit would be in order, one pixel shift. I took a shot of a pilot in a jet, and on his head when I zoomed in was a green dot, you could only see it when going beyond the 10mp limit of the photo.

Most reactions

Back