Red Flower after the rain

amoki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a problematic photo in my opinion me. [BTW - thanks to you guys, I just got my first camera of my own... which also happens to be my first d-SLR. :) It's a Digital Rebel 300D.] The problem with this photo is that it seemed kinda distorted, or maybe it's just the water. I don't know. Or maybe it's just that I forgot to switch on the AF button.

I think buying a EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens may be able to cure the problem. I only have the default EF 18-55 EF-S lense which came with the d-rebel, and it happened that it is a zoom super wide-angle lense. So I might require some opinion on whether I should get the 1.8 II

img2401.jpg

well it'd be really nice if it was sharp...

I looks a little out of focus, There also seems to be a lot compression artifacts around the edges of the petals, probably created when you resised for the web. Try using a higher quality JPEG next time. They arn't there in the original are they?

As for the 50mm lens I think a fast prime lens like that would be great to have BUT the 18-55mm that comes with the rebel is capable of taking beautiful photographs. If this is your first camera and your just starting out maybe you should learn to get the most out of the equipment you have before buying more. Don't exspect a new lens to solve all your problems. Just my 2 cents :).

Right, it's my 2dd day with the equipment when I took that pic. So apparently the AF doesn't work too well for this one. Also, I recall that when I took the pic, the pic on the LCD looked as if it was in focus. Any suggestion (yes, it is the original pic, unedited)?

pursuer, I know the lense can take beautiful picture (or rather, the combination of both the camera and the lense) : try this one :) The comvination of ISO and F/ (did I use the right terms?) is a little off for this one, plus the fact that I did not use any flash and it was near-evening when I took this pic because I think flash my screw the water-droplets,, but I think the focus is just right.

img2418.jpg

the right idea but it looks to me like you need a smaller aperture to bring more of the flower into focus, perhaps close the aperture down a couple of f/stops, the focus is set to such a small part of the flower.

You are not focused, and part of your problem may be that you are too close to your subject. The 18-55 is not a macro lens. Also, you should resize these pictures before posting, and not compress them so much.

Digital Matt said:
You are not focused, and part of your problem may be that you are too close to your subject. The 18-55 is not a macro lens. Also, you should resize these pictures before posting, and not compress them so much.

Alright! That is the right critique that I've needed. I do indeed have problem mastering focus (like I've said, I'm new.), I've been using point-and-shoot for too long and toomuch. Also, I'm pretty much confused by the use of the wide-angle lense - landscape and protrait yes, but not so sure about macro/close-up.

BY the way, what do you mean by compress?

Most reactions

Back