Red River Beach Milky Way

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was the first stop before the lighthouse the other night. I always go back and forth on the darkness of the sky on these photos. I prefer a dark sky and to have it look like it’s nighttime on the foreground. Thoughts? Too dark?

Red River MW 2 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I think the foreground is fine as all the attention is on the amazing sky anyway.

I think it looks great! It's dark enough that it looks like it's night time but not so bright to light everything up. IMO it looks more natural and I like that! This particular dark picture I like a lot because of the contrast of the stars and bg. I like how there's just enough light in the fg to show depressions in the sand and some detail in the life guard tower, almost how you would see it with the naked eye. Good job.

I think the foreground is fine as all the attention is on the amazing sky anyway.

Thanks I appreciate the input.

Very good sky......

Thanks!

I think it looks great! It's dark enough that it looks like it's night time but not so bright to light everything up. IMO it looks more natural and I like that! This particular dark picture I like a lot because of the contrast of the stars and bg. I like how there's just enough light in the fg to show depressions in the sand and some detail in the life guard tower, almost how you would see it with the naked eye. Good job.

Thanks. One of my friends that I shoot astro with usually processes her photos with a foreground that’s equally light as the sky and overall much less dramatic than mine - makes me wonder sometimes if I’m taking things too far in post.

This is a more colorful version of this shot. I used the method discussed in a previous thread to shoot with a lower ISO and then exposure brought up by 2 stops in post to get more color in the MW. This is ISO 1000, 19 seconds at f/2. I think I like this version the best so far.

Red River Beach MW 4 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

This is a more colorful version of this shot. I used the method discussed in a previous thread to shoot with a lower ISO and then exposure brought up by 2 stops in post to get more color in the MW. This is ISO 1000, 19 seconds at f/2. I think I like this version the best so far.

It's definitely more dramatic and imo, leaning more toward the side of fantasy, like fantasy art, which is equally nice in it's own way, it definitely has more pop with the vibrant colors. As far as beauty goes I think it is more beautiful but I like them both.

The first one for me. They lean off the structure playing with the angle of the galaxy sells me. Very neat

They both look excellent to me - but number looks to have more impact because of the perspective

I LOVE the shots like these that you have been posting.

Definitely not too dark for my taste. I think any lighter and it would detract from the MW. Seems you've found a new ( good ) obsession;)

They are both excellent images. I like the darker sky a little better in the second one. But I like the composition and the lighting on the tower more in the first one. They are both great. Why choose?

Did you use a star tracker on these?

The first one for me. They lean off the structure playing with the angle of the galaxy sells me. Very neat

I do prefer the composition of the first one but I like the colors on the second. I may have to re-edit number one to see if I can pull some colors out of it.

They both look excellent to me - but number looks to have more impact because of the perspective

I think you are saying number one and I agree the angle is nicer.

I LOVE the shots like these that you have been posting.

Thank you very much!

Definitely not too dark for my taste. I think any lighter and it would detract from the MW. Seems you've found a new ( good ) obsession;)

Yes I’m loving astro and wish it was clear sky, new moon, dark skies every weekend! Also wish those dark skies were closer!

They are both excellent images. I like the darker sky a little better in the second one. But I like the composition and the lighting on the tower more in the first one. They are both great. Why choose?

Did you use a star tracker on these?

I agree with your comments. Thanks for the feedback! I recently got a tracker but have not had time to play with it and watch the tutorials. Last weekend’s run to the Cape was literally decided on 30 minutes before getting in the car! I barely had time to check my bag and was charging batteries on the way down there. Thank goodness for portable chargers!

I plan to figure out the tracker before going out to shoot astro again. That is my must do for this weekend. Assuming no good photo ops come up for tonight lol.

Beautifully done! I prefer the first image. Too much of the colour in the second is noise for my taste, but the first is fantastic.

Beautifully done! I prefer the first image. Too much of the colour in the second is noise for my taste, but the first is fantastic.

Thanks! Sitting in my car right now waiting for my astro posse to finish shooting. We had a great night even though it was only a short window before the moon spoiled the stars! Looking forward to editing tonight’s shots.

Most reactions

Back