Red Tailed Hawk

mikeschmeee

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These three were taken with my 18-200mm VR. I was able to walk right up to it. The bird did not care one single bit! I was about 10 feet away I think?

5156132643_0a82dffccf_z.jpg

5156757278_0446f0b4a4_z.jpg

5156142561_dff56b1c1d_z.jpg

This was taken with my 300mm f4 as I was trying to get some experience with panning and capturing in flight photos. It's a bit hard for me to use but I'll get use to it I hope?

5300280455_d2c6a6209c_z.jpg

I agree its a Red Tail but she is so beautifully marked its hard to say. Either she has a winter plumage or maybe a Hybrid. Either way, Great shots! One Red Tail gave me the pleasure of a close up like that last year. Its always exciting!

Nice!

Back in my golf course days, there was a rather large hawk hanging out on one of the holes. As I passed that hole I noticed a collection of golfballs. Golfers would not retrieve the balls that were hit in the area where the bird was hangin out in. It was pretty funny.

Wish I had my camera back then...

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, lucky you
Nice shots

How Awesome!! You lucky duck!!! I've got one that frequents my backyard (stalking the birds at the feeder). There's no way I could ever get as close as you did. As soon as I open the back door he flies off.

He perches on the same tree every time he visits. You can see his photo by clicking here. The closest I get is out my window which is 100 feet or better. :meh:

Thank you for all the comments everyone! I greatly appreciate it! I'm very stealth when it comes to bird watching.

I visit this park every weekend called "Dea's Island" There are two Hawks and I know exactly where they are all the time. Their calls are so loud you can hear it throughout the whole park. There are also a few nests but they look fairly large for a hawk. I'm thinking its an old Bald Eagles nest as there are a few around the area (less then 10) The nest its not active at the moment but the Hawks are there all the time.

Filmed one of them a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visit this park every weekend called "Dea's Island" There are two Hawks and I know exactly where they are all the time.
I've got a couple that I follow too. I absolutely love hawks. My brother says they can see a mouse on the ground from a mile away. Not sure if that's true but I watched one swoop down in my field. He was a great distance from a mouse in my field but he found him. I've got photos of him pulling the mouse to shreds. Too bad I didn't have my new lens when I took the shots.

I saw on your photostream that you also follow the eagles. There are several in my area now but I have yet to see one. :grumpy: I have spent the summer looking locally and also out west...but no luck. I've become obsessed with finding them. I also would like to find a few owls. My next purchase is a hunting blind. I'm pretty good at stalking on foot but I'm ready to go even more covert. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back