Red tint to photos?

use whitebalance to make the light warmer per circumstance, not vivid which only adjusts color, sharpness and contrast

I guess I have put it on, and left it on because I found that if I take photos of my kids, where the light from the outside comes in and produces a colder feel, I'll put on vivid to "warm" it up. Thus I forget it's on and end up ruining other photos I take.

what are you shooting with? this is why I altered my auto WB to add a little warmth. (I shoot in RAW anymore, so it doesn't really matter)

I guess I have put it on, and left it on because I found that if I take photos of my kids, where the light from the outside comes in and produces a colder feel, I'll put on vivid to "warm" it up. Thus I forget it's on and end up ruining other photos I take.

what are you shooting with? this is why I altered my auto WB to add a little warmth. (I shoot in RAW anymore, so it doesn't really matter)
What do you mean what am I shooting with? Camera wise or mode wise?

camera.

In myl nikon, if you go to the shooting menu, find white balance, and then when you select auto, click the right button, you can adjust the balance. I used A2 to make the camera give a warmer white balance.

I corrected the white balance only and did no other editing.

Untitled-2-WBcorrection.jpg

With the WB corrected - I color corrected, cropped, selectively sharpened, selectively softened, reshaped the mouth some, cleaned up minor skin blemishes, dodged a bit in the shadows, and added a narrow black border.

Untitled-2-Edit.jpg

camera.

In myl nikon, if you go to the shooting menu, find white balance, and then when you select auto, click the right button, you can adjust the balance. I used A2 to make the camera give a warmer white balance.
I shoot with a Nikon as well, the D40. I use the auto WB mostly and have it set to +1. If I use like incandescent for instance, I get a super blue out come on the pictures, even if the room is filled with incandescent light. Does a flash matter of the outcome?

Entry-level cameras like the D40 usually don't do well with WB set to Auto.

If a room is lit with incandescent light and you use a flash that is about the same color as sunlight you will have a mixed lighting situation that auto likely WB can't cope with.

As I mentioned above, to use flash with incandescent light the flash needs to be gelled to the color temperature of the incandescent light so all the light in the image has the same color temperure.
CTO gels are used to make the light from a flash unit the same color temperature as incandescent. A 1/4 CTO may do it, or it make take more than a full CTO.

Just for humor's sake, what type of camera would you recommend for someone with a little more experience?

Just for humor's sake, what type of camera would you recommend for someone with a little more experience?
First, I would learn to use the one you have. Purchase a book on the basic principles of photography and editing. Once you have mastered those then you might be seeing a need to upgrade. You will know when you are there.

the best one they can afford.

I agree. I upgraded from a D40 to a D3100 and I'm kicking myself I didn't splurge for at least a D5100, although I'd be happier with a D7100.

the best one they can afford.

I agree. I upgraded from a D40 to a D3100 and I'm kicking myself I didn't splurge for at least a D5100, although I'd be happier with a D7100.
Lol thats funny because when I was looking at upgrading my body I pinpointed either the 3100 or 5100. I gather the better of the two is the 5100 but haven't looked again. It sucks the deal I got for my D40 is the same price as the body for 5100. Live and learn I suppose

Most reactions

New Topics

Back