Redneck modeling part 2 lol CC

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by luvmyfamily, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Netskimmer

Netskimmer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

Hey, in Japan they would look at these and say "they're alright, if your into older women." :lol: But seriously, we should try to not hijack the poor woman's thread again.

2. jowensphoto

jowensphoto Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The edit posted on page 1 looks great! That's the kind of light I was referring to in the previous thread. It softens "the sexy" for a more visually appealing image.

I still think 3 is the best. Almost like a still from a movie (or country music video, as mentioned yesterday!).

The last 3 are the weakest of the set, IMO. Aside from the tilted horizon in the last (and that little piece of green popping in from the bottom), they are technically sound. It might help to bring along some sample images to show the model, especially those new to modeling.

3. sm4him

sm4him In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice to meet you, Ron. :wink:
    Seriously, the OP says the girl is 20 and married. With a kid. And she is very clearly NOT 12.

I do think "adults" look younger and younger the older I get. I went to a doctor the other day that looked like Doogie Howser's younger brother. :lol:
    And I have definitely seen 12 year olds (who turn out to be 20-somethings) driving a vehicle!

OP--I have absolutely no expertise on portrait photography, so I really have no useful C&C for you. But I do applaud your efforts to think beyond the norm and do something a little edgy and different, without going overboard.

4. charlie76

charlie76 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    sorry...I couldn't resist....

5. gopal

gopal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    JPG gives me satisfaction....do slight sharpening though not in all pix.....1st is fine in warmer tone...second looks slight artificial...Off-camera flash shd be used at 45 degree....One more thing I noted...all your backgrounds are sharp....You shd have used wide aperture and kept distance from the bg to go it diffused....the couple shots are hotties...single her knee down is good.
    Liked your hubby and son's pic. tfs.

6. charlie76

Photos OK to edit
    ...by the way....

tee hee hee..

ok..im done;)

7. jowensphoto

jowensphoto Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you took what I said out of context... I wasn't insinuating that the model was bad, just obviously new. She doesn't have the comfort or poise that an experienced model has/should have.

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wonder how many Google searches have the keywords Doogie Howser in it today? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. charlie76

Photos OK to edit
    I know what you meant...was only kidding...sorry to use your thing for my own amusement!!

10. PapaMatt

PapaMatt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So what was all the chatter about? I think the photos are just fine now that I get to see them. Nice Job, keep thinking out of the box, don't follow crowd. Good Luck

11. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Whew! Glad we figured out the age thing. As for the pics, I like the fact that luvmyfamily is working hard at broadening her skill set and is not very afraid of trying edgy stuff.

As for the age thing, I was still being carded when I was 28 (this in a province where the legal age for purchase of alcohol is 18), so the fact that the model looks younger than she is is not that unusual.

12. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

C&C per req:

1. First and foremost, the hair bothers me. I would prefer to see it either swept back on her shouldes, or covering her bra/swimsuit- top completely. As-is, it just looks messy. The lighting isn't bad, though looking at the brightness of the sky, I can't help thinking that a silver reflector would have brought some real sparkle into her eyes.

2. Right idea, but just a tad too much power. To do this properly, you really need a flash meter. Meter the ambient with your camera, then meter your flash and set it for 2/3 - 1 stop below (also consider an SB - it would definitely reduce some of the 'sharpness').

I'm NOT a fan of the angle or pose; I would much prefer to see something done using the fence; say the classic 'one foot on the bottom board' sort of look.

3. Pose idea is good here, but some fill light was needed as they're faces are slightly dark and should be turned slightly toward the camera. Watch the little things like her cropped fingers!

4. The highlights seem about 1/3 stop too hot here. When you're shooting a scene like this, you really need to do an incident metering or use a grey card to determine exposure. The concept is good, but the plants sort of take away from the 'gritty urban' look. As well, watch hand placement. I don't really like this pose, but I'm afraid I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative.

5, 6. Better, but remember to have them look slightly toward the camera. I think a setting with a little more detail besides a blank, white wall would have helped. Graffitti, some old, rusty junk, etc... it's a little too boring. Alternatively, dressing the models in bright clothes might have worked.

Overall, they're a good set, but there are some small details that are holding them back IMO; for instance, her bra/swimsuit top looks far too 'every day'. Something more 'Daisy Duke' would have helped with the image and remember hair!!!!! Models with long hair need to be checked FREQUENTLY - if it is going to be messy, ensure that it's planned mess!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John