reducing glare on glasses?

gingrjenny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any tips on reducing glare on glasses. I have had trouble with this lately. I don't notice it when focusing. I'm not using a flash.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I added it to my ever growing wish list. I took a lot of photos at the park today but a bunch of them had glare on the glasses...granted it was a bright sunny day. i thought I was in enough shade but I realized too late it was too bright. Its what practice is all about i suppose.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I added it to my ever growing wish list. I took a lot of photos at the park today but a bunch of them had glare on the glasses...granted it was a bright sunny day. i thought I was in enough shade but I realized too late it was too bright. Its what practice is all about i suppose.

think about where the light source is... and where the glasses are...is the sun going to bounce off of the glasses, into your lens? If so... move either the glasses, or the camera... enough to where that "Bounce" does not occur! Easy! (well sort of.. glasses are typically reflective at many different angles because of the design. All convex or concave lenses have that issue)

I don't do a lot of people photography myself but as a person who wears glasses I remember a few times when doing family photos I have had photographers ask me to push the ear peaces up above where they normally rest on the ear just a little. This prevents the lenses from being parallel with the lens and can help reduce glair.

The only way to eliminate glare completely is removing the lenses from the frames. But that will look fake.

A little glare on glasses should be fine.

what I was trying to do is not shoot against a brighter background than my subject. didn't want a silhouette photo. So thats why I placed my subject where I did which resulted in glare. So I guess just focus more on where the light is coming from and reflecting? Its a tad overwhelming thinking about all the different things you have to think about going into a photo but I'm going to keep trying.

Are you using a hood?

Are you using a hood?

Tailgunner.. while a hood is always a good idea, the only way it would help with glasses, is if the glasses were at a point outside the image, and trying to reflect light in. The hood doesn't really affect anything inside the FOV!

I don't do a lot of people photography myself but as a person who wears glasses I remember a few times when doing family photos I have had photographers ask me to push the ear peaces up above where they normally rest on the ear just a little. This prevents the lenses from being parallel with the lens and can help reduce glair.

The only way to eliminate glare completely is removing the lenses from the frames. But that will look fake.

A little glare on glasses should be fine.

thanks for the tip! Both my kids wear glasses so I can see this being a problem in the future if I don't figure it out.

Are you using a hood?

Tailgunner.. while a hood is always a good idea, the only way it would help with glasses, is if the glasses were at a point outside the image, and trying to reflect light in. The hood doesn't really affect anything inside the FOV!

Oh, we're talking something like Spectacles and not different lenses? Well, I feel embarrassed lol

Since it was your kids I guess they were looking up at you? Maybe getting down closer to their level might help since it would change your vantage point. You can move your subjects but you can also move yourself and change what's in your viewfinder.

What I do if I'm shooting and there are windows or any glass that will be in the picture is to move around and watch the reflection in the glass as I move, then frame and focus and shoot from wherever the reflections look best.

I don't do portraits so someone else might know, but I think maybe having them tilt their chins down very slightly would help adjust the angle.

LOL Glass....glasses... i see the confusion.

Are you using a hood?

Oh, we're talking something like Spectacles and not different lenses? Well, I feel embarrassed lol

Someone wearing glasses is always a problem for photographers. Shooting a 'straight on' portrait, with a camera mounted flash is a sure-fire way to get flash-glare in the lenses of the glasses. Although I've never been a portrait photographer, in watching a couple of them in action (shopping mall, etc) they always have the people/kids look a little to the left or right of the camera, thereby eliminating the reflection of the flash in the glasses. Outside, the same is true, but the sun is coming from various angles and reflects at similar angles. Think of a pool ball bouncing off a cushion...the angle of reflection = the angle of incidence. The same applies to light reflections.

One trick for portraits of people who wear glasses:

Have the subject side on to the camera and facing out of the frame. Put the main light source nearly behind them. Good for moody portraits of adults, may be less use for kids.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back