No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been trying to obtain Water Drop Reflection results such as these:
water drop reflection - Google Search
waterdrop_macros_2.jpg

Based on a guide I found here:
How to put pretty stuff in those drops. Tutorial below: | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So far, nothing spectacular.
What I need to know is how would I go about coaxing water drops?
I've been trying to "deposit" them on stems and leaves with a small spoon, but they mostly just drip off wherever I have been placing them. Too much water and dripping, not enough and no spheres.

Secondly, is there any way to obtain bigger drops? A small plunger? Diluting sugar in the water?

But, definitely, how do I place adequate drops where I need them? A way which is both feasible and easily repeatable would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Here's an attempt I had a couple years ago. I used an eye dropper to place the droplets where I wanted them. I found that different types of flower stems have different abilities to hold the drop in place. This is a leaf from an aloe plant. The "flower" is actually from a Mr. Potato head accessory since I shot it mid winter with no vegetation around. It's pretty tricky at first b/c the droplet becomes a second lens that you have to focus. Once you get the ballpark of where things need to be placed, you can add more and more droplets. You can get pretty creative w/ this. Good luck

Refractionweb.jpg

I've had similar problems. I've tried to use a spray bottle, a little eye dropper and a few other options to get the drops where I wanted them. Sometimes it seems like it's just hit or miss. I did notice a difference between the various surfaces that are used... for example, on a branch of an avocado plant, I could often get several small drops to form a line (although, if I wait to long, the drops "migrate" from the top of the branch to the underside), but I could never get a large drop. Other times, however, I could get a leaf to take a large drop, like in this shot:

1165441479_khwFv-M.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't remember what leaf I used for that shot.

Zev Steinhardt

Light stalking has great topics and even instructions. Here is a "how to" on your subject: Light Stalking » How to Photograph Water Drops. I have not tried it myself.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that's a tutorial on how to create drops to capture them in mid-splash. That's not what the OP and I are looking for. :)

Zev Steinhardt

See, I wanted to say that but thought it might sound rude. Also, there is a link to a Reflective drop gallery (which I believed he wanted to link to) but that just leads back to the link I posted on top...
Eye dropper, I will definitely try that (currently scourging the house for one) Any more tips and tricks would be helpful indeed! :-D

Sorry about that, her original picture was a splash in a puddle...

Alright! So I have some first positive results.

However, I am having some issues.

Firstly, I am using a 50mm Prime f/1.8 Canon lens (as seen here) so I can not not get the focus needed when up close. What you are currently seeing has been cropped from 100%, not zoomed. I am having the same trouble with details / Close focus with my 18-55mm and *cough* 120-400mm Sigma (It was worth a shot...)

1- Which lens would I use to get the up close detail I am seeing from others? My f/1.8 50mm prime just does not seem to be able to focus from close. Keeping in mind I also have a 1.6 cropper Sensor. How do I obtain clear shots as with the above daisies?

Actually, that's pretty much it for now. Boiling sugar into equal parts water thickened it just a little, although not much. Trying to find the proper plant / leaf / anything to get nice droplets. Coating in Wax (hydrophobic) just makes the water run off and gives TINY drops, no good.

As for the slight noise, I was using ISO 800 on my T2i, a non issue with sunlight.

(Yes, it's a Guppy. I wanted to capture fish within a drop.)

AH!
2- Focus. I am doing manual focus (image within drop) and am seeing variations of focus within said drops. Meaning sometimes the top / head of Fish/Globe would be in focus but the bottom part not. The Daisies and flowers seem to have lots of distance variation, so why am I having problems focusing with the drops? Is it because it's not Glycerine and thus my drops are not big enough? Is it my aperture? Because even at f/6 to f/8 I was having this issue.

What lenses / settings are you using for these pictures?

Oh. Glycerine is Lube.
It's Lube, folks.
Glycerine is Lube.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, it is not a reflective water drop, it is, I believe displaying refraction.

I didn't read what was in those drops as fish till I read that it was. Super idea! A bigger rounder drop will probably show it better.
Thanks for continuing to post your efforts and recipies!

I wonder if glycerine would be effective for this project.
Hmmmm...You got me thinkin'.

Hahaha! You edited your post and mention glycerine. Have you read that it works?

I think the focus varies because of the shape of the drop, convex on one end, concave on the other.

Last edited:
(...)

I think the focus varies because of the shape of the drop, convex on one end, concave on the other.

(Hahaha on first part! :-D)

*headsmack* of course. The angle at which light refracts off of the drop varies vis a vis the image sensor. Makes sense.

OH! About bringing my camera in closer to the drop, I just remembered that my wide angle can go pretty close, yet using a wide angle lens defeats the purpose of bringing the camera closer to maintain a narrow line of sight.

I've heard about reversing the lens into the camera body, how would that work? I've read threads on here that deal with the subject and I am reading it as "Mount your Prime 50mm into your 120-400mm, but the opposite of how you usually mount them." Which only makes me do a double take.
Currently searching the Internet for how it is done.

There is also talk of extension tubes, would this be a better option for my prime lens?
(EOS 550D / T2i, with f/1.8 50mm prime)

Sorry if I have many questions, after all knowledge is power (And that's half the Battle!) :p

Last edited:
Extension tubes are a great inexpensive solution!

Canons 25mm tube is expensive, Kenkos (sp?) are cheaper but decent quality.

Obtained a no-name brand 3 part Extension Tube for 6.50$ from eBay in Hong Kong. Advertised as "No loss of image quality!" If it works, GREAT! If not, HEY! Only 6.50$! I most likely could still find a use for them. Lensbaby anyone?

Will try reversing the lens tomorrow, will report back results.

Would greatly appreciate settings and lenses used for the above pictures.

A great many thanks,
-Timoris

Most reactions

Back