I find them most useful when they are smaller actually. You can always use more than one if you need to, but if they are too big they just tend to get in the way or fly away if it's windy. I like them about 18" wide? Bigger ones are nicer for some things but I hardly ever ended up using the big ones in the kit I bought. The smaller ones, those I use all the time. Just a note those reflective car window shields are kind of nice for group shots. If you get the right kind they act pretty much like photo reflectors. They're pretty cheap, a little heavier than pro reflectors, and they fold up and out of the way easily too which comes in handy. I do have the one good set, but I've also been known to make them out of all sorts of things actually. I have one set that's actually made of aluminum foil and different colors of clear saran placed over the foil. I brought those to school and my one design teacher just about had a cow laughing at me, but hey, they WORK!