Reflector Recommendations for Portrait Fill

B Kennedy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm looking to find a nice portable reflector to use for portrait photography. I saw the California Sunbounce 3 off a video that I think JerryPH posted on engagement sessions (not that he recommended the reflector, just the video), but I'm wondering what other reflectors anyone has found reliable, durable, portable, etc.

Thanks

Prettty much anything will do. There are many products out there from DIY free to $200. The thing with reflectors is that you need either a 2nd person to hold them for you or a lightstand with boom and attachments. I use a $10 2 sided 45" foldable unit but have also used a 28" 5-in-1 that was $19.

Heck, you can even use those car dash protectors as a reflector.

Jerry is right, the possibilities are endless. I have even went so far as to get foam core and attach it to long pointed sticks when I don't have an assistant. That way I can stab it in the grass and adjust it a little then go back to the camera to shoot. Its a PIA, but works.

I think one of the most common types are those foldable circular ones, usually sold as a 5-in-1. They are great because they reduce down to a fraction of their size when you fold them up and they are generally easy to carry & pack etc.

With reflectors, usually the bigger the better...but of course, they get harder to wield as they get bigger, especially outdoors where it could be windy.

My favorite thing about these reflectors is the 5th part of the 5-in-1...the diffusion screen. Some of the best lighting you can get is by using the diffusion screen in between your subjects and the sun.

I think one of the most common types are those foldable circular ones, usually sold as a 5-in-1. They are great because they reduce down to a fraction of their size when you fold them up and they are generally easy to carry & pack etc.

With reflectors, usually the bigger the better...but of course, they get harder to wield as they get bigger, especially outdoors where it could be windy.

My favorite thing about these reflectors is the 5th part of the 5-in-1...the diffusion screen. Some of the best lighting you can get is by using the diffusion screen in between your subjects and the sun.
Oh ya, big time +1 on the diffuser. I bough a big rectangular 5-in-1 just for the diffuser.

I encourage my models to bring friends, family, boy friends so I can enlist them to hold relectors and diffusers, carry gear, etc. I keep stands and booms in the bus though just in case.

Thanks for the replies, was away from my computer this weekend. I think the only thing I don't like about the DIY's is I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone whom I've hired to show up with some weird *rigged* setup. I'm sure they will work wonderfully and just as well as a $200 one.

I think I'm gonna look into the 5 in 1's foldable ones. Any recommendations on manufacturers? Gonna start honing some techniques on my gf this summer!! That should prove to be fun. I took a few over this past weekend at a wedding, although w/o diffuser and I *shot* her in the face :lol: I'll post 1 or 2 tomorrow for some advice.

Thanks for the replies, was away from my computer this weekend. I think the only thing I don't like about the DIY's is I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone whom I've hired to show up with some weird *rigged* setup. I'm sure they will work wonderfully and just as well as a $200 one.

I think I'm gonna look into the 5 in 1's foldable ones. Any recommendations on manufacturers? Gonna start honing some techniques on my gf this summer!! That should prove to be fun. I took a few over this past weekend at a wedding, although w/o diffuser and I *shot* her in the face :lol: I'll post 1 or 2 tomorrow for some advice.
Dude, for all your clients know, the "some weird *rigged* setup" DYI gear is a $200 one.

The guy that first figured out subtractive lighting did so by taking off his black suit jacket and drapeing it across a bush while he was shooting a portrait outdoors. And this was a time long ago when that was weird behavior for a photographer. All he cared about was making the best image he could.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back