Releases

lcountry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Predominately I focus on equine photography but have on occassion done a senior photo shoot for friends.

However just recently had a group contact me wanting group pictures at a family gathering. Of course I showed up with releases for them to sign. One person refused because he wanted full approval and control over the usage and release of the pictures. We eventually had an agreement that worked for us both. However, it did bring to a question to mind - have you or would you leave a client shoot because they wouldn't sign the release? In a large group, would you just refuse to include the non-signer in the group shots?

I would work it out without whomever was paying the bill; they're the client, so it's up to them to sort out the issue. If I needed a release and someone won't sign, I don't shoot. I'm puzzled though, why would you need/want a release for an image like this?

Why on earth would you leave a Portrait shoot for that? That shoot is paid for by them for them. Any use YOU want, is secondary and for your benefit only. In a situation like this, if they don't want to that's totally their prerogative.

Now if I hired a Model for stock work and she wouldn't sign, I would say sorry you're fired. It's a totally different situation

I'm probably a nazi about releases now after being stuck in an uncomfortable situation. Three of us were friends, 1 owned the horse, 1 rode the horse, and I shot the pictures free of charge to them so that I could use the photos. Friend one and two got ticked at each other and didn't want her horse pictured with the other person, and vice versa. Although I managed to stay friends with both I couldn't use any of the pictures. So now, I've probably gone to the other extreme and want releases from/by everyone. (my bad most likely, but burned once...) In the meantime, the owner got free sales pictures that she used to sell her horse.

And, no, I didn't walk off; didn't really even consider it. He and I agreed that I wouldn't use the photos without his express written permission. I'm totally fine with that and, honestly, wouldn't have used them without permission anyway. I don't normally do portrait stuff and hadn't run into it so I was wanting the benefit of y'alls experience. (For the record, I was filling in for a portrait photographer who had a family emergency. The family in the shoot was gathered from multiple states and needed a fill-in.)

Yeah, totally different situtation
In the Horse situation, did the owner get your permission to use the photo?

Nothing was in writing, but yes she did have my permission. These are high dollar horses and immaculately groomed, ridden by a professional. It was an excellent opportunity for me to get some nice shots. So it was a mutual deal that in theory benefited all of us. Seller got nice photos, rider used them on her website for her training business, and I had them for portfolio, website, etc.

Geez, sorry you had to be on the losing end of the deal. Well at least it was a good learning situtaion for you. That's about all we get some times.
It's always good to be on the safe side as you learned. But it doesn't have to be a deal breaker for paid portrait work

Predominately I focus on equine photography but have on occassion done a senior photo shoot for friends.

However just recently had a group contact me wanting group pictures at a family gathering. Of course I showed up with releases for them to sign. One person refused because he wanted full approval and control over the usage and release of the pictures. We eventually had an agreement that worked for us both. However, it did bring to a question to mind - have you or would you leave a client shoot because they wouldn't sign the release? In a large group, would you just refuse to include the non-signer in the group shots?
What country are you in?

Since TPF is on the Internet, it's an International forum.

Laws and general business practices here in the USA may not work for someone in Bolivia, France, Canada, New Zealand, or some other country.

Of course I showed up with releases for them to sign. One person refused because he wanted full approval and control over the usage and release of the pictures.

Why "of course"? Why do you think you need a release? What's wrong with the client not wanting you to use their likeness for your advertising?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back