Remember when you first started photography?

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What were some of the things you thought at first, and ended up finding out the truth about? For me, I thought the more megapixels you had, the better camera (common belief i guess), and also thought that the bigger lens you had, the more professional you were. Which is why I have a 13inch or so 500mm f8 (not a mirror lens) telephoto sitting around at my house that I've never really used. I got it for 30 bucks on ebay :lol:

I was 8 when I first start getting interested in photography, so I don't remember what I was thinking! I don't think most people knew what a megapixel WAS then! :lol:

Ok...when I first started really SERIOUSLY getting into photography....I just remember feeling overwhelmed because there was so much to learn and I didn't know where to start.

that i could take a better picture with an F5 than with my '61 F model. WRONG! you create the picture not the camera. your ability to 'see' coupled with an understanding of light, shutter and aperature make the image.

edit:.....and that a computer could minipulate photographic images.....ha, yeah right. :greenpbl:

I started when I was 12... then I grabbed my dad's Zenit and started to play with it. Nobody knew about digital cams then here in PL :p At the beginning I thought that background is not so important and all my pictures were tilted ... ALL ... I wanted to have the main objest straight, even when it wasn't in reality :p

Well I havent been into photography seriously for too long so anything stupid I thought at the start, I probably still think... so I wont embarrass myself!

However I've had some great comments from customers in the store like "and what about those mega-pixies things? what do they mean?" and "digical zooms" and "where does the film go in the digital camera" etc.... got to bit my lip a lot.... :lol:

When I was eight I thought I could make a good living from photography! That's not quite as arrogant as it sounds, when you know how I got into taking photos.
My dad used to photograph weddings for friends, and I was allowed to reload his 'second' camera when the film ran out. That involved firing a couple of shots, to get the film wound on. I started using those shots (and then some!) to get canded images. The good ones my dad would include in an envolope in the back of the album.
Very quickly we were getting orders for reprints from MY photos as well as his, and this started when I was eight!!! I thought I'd be a wedding photographer and make loads of money... Then I grew up and got a real job. :(

I also thought studying photography would improve my technique/skill/interest, all it did was kill my desire. I still don't take photos like I could before I went to college 10 years ago...

I remember thinking that the more zoom the camera had the better it was,
and the only reason my photos didn't turn out was ONLY because of the ZOOM!
:biglaugh:
That's why I have a Panasonic Lumix... it has 12x optical zoom. My dad remembered me talking about how I needed a really high powered zoom (way back when) and he got me the Panasonic. :lol:

I received an Argus C-3 for my 11th birthday. "The Brick" as it's know was a good 35mm rangefinder in it's day. Mine was second hand, but a good camera. For Christmas when I was 12, I got a new Miranda GT, the when I was 14 I saved up and bought a Photomic FTN and a 45mm f/2.8 GN. That was the start of my path down Nikon lane. Been on it ever since. I still have those three cameras and every one since then except for two that were stolen. Great cameras, Great memories.

I thought the higher the aperture number the more light it let in...till about 5 days ago...

:king: I know I'm cool.

I did the same Darin... and only TPF told me that's not the point :p:p

I thought mylens which said "macro" on it was a macro lens... until I learnt it just meant it was able to focus closer than it normally would. I really wanted to get close but couldn't. Still, stuff like that makes you experiment. :mrgreen:

I got my first camera when I was 11 (I still have it somewhere) and I though Photography was some kind of magic.
When I started getting serious about taking pictures and went to College I thought becoming a photographer was the coolest thing you could do.
I was right - but then I found out about all the crap that goes with it, and how precarious the life is.

Well Hertz...
I was really considering becoming a doctor...
but then I found out about all the crap that goes with it, and how precarious the life is.
So I decided to be a photographer. :)

Trust me... my uncle is a doctor and I have a lot of friends who are doctors.
The Medical arena has much MUCH more crap going on in the background then you probably think.

Most reactions

Back