Remote Flash with D5000

Santa Gertrudis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any way to remotely fire a flash with the D5000 like you can with the D90? I would like to get an SB-600 and mount it to a tripod and/or set it on the ground and be able to remotely fire it as well as use it on the hot shoe like normal. Is there a way?

Thanks in advance! :D

You should be able to fire any slave-capable flash unit (which would just be triggered by the unit you have on-camera), but you won't be able to control output on the off-camera unit without the use of a SU-800, from what I read when I was looking to purchase a back-up DSLR.

A cord, wireless triggers, using the slave mode, etc., will all accomplish triggering.

Ok, I looked up SU-800 and it makes sense now. Im thinking for right now, I might just stick with a cord and save a couple hundred bucks. I can always get the SU-800 later on.

Thank you very much for your help!

No problem. I would check out some cheapo eBay triggers. <$50, and they'll do the job (with a few sacrifices from the higher-dollar systems). Search wireless trigger on eBay.

So how do I know if said trigger will work with the SB-600?
Read the description for the auction. If you're at a web site read the tech info there. The bottom line is it usually doesn't matter what flash unit you're using when you trigger it with a radio receiver and transmitter.

These will work with the SB-600: http://cgi.ebay.com/PT-04-C-Radio-W...ZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item4149f082a5

By the way, the SB-600 doesn't have a port to plug in a sync cord.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, I've been interested in an SB-400 for a while due to it's size. It's not listed as compatible, but what would stop it from working remotely?

Would the Vivitar 285HV even be worth looking at instead of the SB-600?
I have 2 of the SB-600's (and 2 SB-800's) and 4 of the 285HV's.

The 285HV's won't TTL.

Also, I've been interested in an SB-400 for a while due to it's size. It's not listed as compatible, but what would stop it from working remotely?
The SB-400 can be triggered remotely with a radio trigger or an accessory optical slave that attaches to the shoe.

The SB-400 is pretty weak power output wise. The 285HV's blow it out of the water.

On another note: Some lightstands don't cost a whole lot - Impact | Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - | LS-96HAB | B&H and are more versatile than using a tripod.

Ah! So the SB-600 will TTL? I didn't think it would on my camera.

I guess I just need to forget about the SB-400 all together. I just really like the size of it for on camera use. I can see how it would be limiting though. Oh well. SB-600 it is!

I have a vivtar 285hv and sb-600

The 285 won't even compare to the vivtar as far as shoe mounted goes

But, since this is about remote flashing...

I have modified Catus v2s and they fire at... so far... 100% and they go over 350 feet so...

A little soldering time (antenna) and some trials and you have a great remote fire for 60 bucks or so...

Most reactions

Back