Remote for NikonD90

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just recevied a remote from B&H which was only $6. It seems to work intermittently, perhaps I don't know the correct position to point it at the camera. Are remotes like most things--ie you get what you pay for. I am willing to buy another remote and cost is not a problem. Any suggestions? Or do I just need to learn how to properly use my present remote?

The pickup for the remote is on the front of the camera. It has to be pointed at the front. If you are doing that I suspect something is wrong with the remote, perhaps a low battery.

on my d80, there is a setting that says "remote on duration" and the default is 1 minute. it sets the length of time that the camera will look for a signal from the remote after the remote control setting is selected.

might wanna look for that.

I am pointing it at the front of the camera. I will get another battery, but you would think B&H would shave shipped it with a new battery. Of course maybe it was in the wharehouse for 3 years.

on my d80, there is a setting that says "remote on duration" and the default is 1 minute. it sets the length of time that the camera will look for a signal from the remote after the remote control setting is selected.

^^^that

I just recevied a remote from B&H which was only $6. It seems to work intermittently, perhaps I don't know the correct position to point it at the camera. Are remotes like most things--ie you get what you pay for. I am willing to buy another remote and cost is not a problem. Any suggestions? Or do I just need to learn how to properly use my present remote?

Which remote do you have? Is it this one: Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) 4730 B&H Photo

I have that remote and it works flawlessly with my D90.

Definitely check that the remote timer has not turned off. It defaults to 1 minute but can be changed. I changed mine to 10 minutes for use with my D90.

I also think that the "eye" that sees the infrared light is on the front right side of the D90 when you are looking at the camera with the lens pointed AT you, not away from you. I could be wrong about that.

^^^that
Yep, good point.

If you check all the good suggestions above and it still works intermittently ... I bought 2 of the "cheaper" ML-L3 remotes and both worked about 20% of the time. The remainder of the time I was pressing the button in vain. I tried new batteries and still dodgy performance. I got the real Nikon ML-L3 remote and it has worked flawlessly since. I can only assume that the knock-off remotes are discounted for a reason.

I have seen threads on the web that suggest different methods of repositioning the contact that is deep within the remote. Apparently some of these remotes come apart fairly easily and some you have to stick something in there to try to move the contact strip closer to the button. That's a lot of trouble. ;)

thanks for all the answers. My remote says VELLO on it. May just get the Nikon ML-L3 & save the cost of a new battery for the VELLO only to find that was not the issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back