Remote Shutter Release Questions

fotoflo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Forum Buddies,
So I am going on a motorcycle trip with a friend (to Tibet), and I would like to get shots of us both riding at the same time.

I have a Nikon D80 and I am looking at my options for remote shutter release. I am afraid that ML-L3 will only operate from short distances and only if it's pointed directly at the camera (from the front). Is there a better solution... something that will allow me to push a button from a moving motorcycle 10 meters away from the camera? Something that will do rapid-fire and bulb control?

On another post I read about a user using a regular old programmable remote control - I googled for tutorials on how to get this to work, but no luck... can anyone post a link?

Also, how do you get that shot of the bullet going through the apple/balloon/light bulb? some kind of sound or electronic trip-wire/switch device to control the camera? Maybe that would be better. Maybe I can solder one onto a programmable remote?

All suggestions and links to tutorials are appreciated.

Thanks
-fotoflo

Universal Remote Control - Universal Remotes - Jasco Products Company

I just bought one of these for my Pentax, and after doing a
"search code" function, i found one that worked, Whether it will operate your Nikon at 30 feet, i dunno, but at about $15.00 including shipping, it may be worth a try. It is quite small too, so it will probably fit in your camera bag.

that appears to be a TV remote...it will work for the camera?

It works on my K110D Pentax. I just had to do a code search with it, which involved pressing the set up button, then pressing the vcr/dvd button on the remote, and then the power button on the remote repeatedly until the shutter fired, then hitting the mute button on the remote to set the code. And it is VERY small for a universal TV remote, it fits easily in my camera bag. I have no ruler here, but it looks to be about 5" long. It's also light as a feather, takes 2 AAA cells.

I guess it depends on how feature packed the remote shutter is on your camera. On mine, I have 3 options for remote shutter release 1: Instant, 2: 3 second delay, and I can also choose whether the camera auto focuses before allowing the shutter to release. All of these work fine with this remote, so I think it is a bargain!

Also, how do you get that shot of the bullet going through the apple/balloon/light bulb? some kind of sound or electronic trip-wire/switch device to control the camera? Maybe that would be better. Maybe I can solder one onto a programmable remote?

All suggestions and links to tutorials are appreciated.

Thanks
-fotoflo

This can be done, but can be tricky. A photocell device can be made. The bullet will break the I.R. light beam and trip the shutter. The speed of the flash is the big problem. At full power, a typical flash has too long a duration to freeze a bullet. A good flash, set to manual at about 1/8 power and close enough to properly expose the subject can work. I would limit it to something slow like a .22 short or standard velocity round. A faster bullet will require specialized flashes and cost a bunch. ( bunch = technical term ) For some setups a sound activated trigger devise might work better, like a pin breaking a water balloon. A timer with a short delay, a few milliseconds might be needed to expose the object shortly after a trigger event. Like the bullet passing through the IR trigger and into an apple or soda can. Take a look at www.hiviz.com . They sell kits and have plans online for the hobbiest to make triggers like this. The site also has a lot of links with examples. I purchased from them a few years back, got fast shipping and good quality kits. Good luck and have fun.

Ummm, why don't you just time yourselves to get to a certain speed from a known distance (camera on manual with set focus, aperture wide enough to have you in focus as well, and shutter speed) and then just set the auto timer?

Then all you have to do is chimp until you get it right. You should be able to press the shutter button (while on your bike) and then go down the road, do a u turn and get back to the set spot in 20 seconds easily.

and all of this with no extra gear to loose. ;)

mike

Ummm, why don't you just time yourselves to get to a certain speed from a known distance (camera on manual with set focus, aperture wide enough to have you in focus as well, and shutter speed) and then just set the auto timer?

Then all you have to do is chimp until you get it right. You should be able to press the shutter button (while on your bike) and then go down the road, do a u turn and get back to the set spot in 20 seconds easily.

and all of this with no extra gear to loose. ;)

mike

I would assume you to be (wink, wink ) being a little sarcastic. If not, well......
A bullet travels a long distance in a very short period of time. Even a .22 can go a couple of miles in a second or so. Your set needs to be black for the contrast between the bullet/balloon or what ever and the background. When preping this type of shot, you will be working in total darkness. The shutter will be open before the round is fired so total black is a necessity. Even the pin breaking a balloon shot would be setup the same way. Total darkness, open shutter, pop the balloon triggering the flash. All this action is in a few thousands of a second.

Cool guys, thanks for the responses.
I bought an IR remote for like $6, and then randomly, some guy in a market gave me anotherone for free. Interesting to note, the remote has a delay of like a second or so, so its not so good. in the end, the remote has been useful for quite a lot, but for this particular shot i asked a peasant to push the shutter release button for me as I rode by...

http://www.kuaibbs.com/fotoflo/motomore/pages/DSC_5039.htm

regards

Most reactions

Back