Remote Shutter Release

Rob_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I have a Canon 5D MKII, and I was looking to get a cable release. I've seen the ones from Canon, and everybody is saying they're very much over priced, I agree. I was wondering what suggestions you guys have for wired, or wireless releases at a good price?

Depending on what you need, you'll run into different price points. If you just need something to trip the shutter while you stand right there, you can get an after market cable release from about $3 on up. Amazon.com: RS-80N3

If you'd like it to be wireless but basic shutter or flash tripping is all you need, figure $25 to $30. Amazon.com: Yongnuo trigger

If you'd like all the bells and whistles, Sparky's solution comes in at about $70 to $80.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey all,

I have a Canon 5D MKII, and I was looking to get a cable release. I've seen the ones from Canon, and everybody is saying they're very much over priced, I agree. I was wondering what suggestions you guys have for wired, or wireless releases at a good price?

Depends on your needs. Do you need the functions of something like the Pixel? If so it is a good way to go. If not there are a couple of suggestions. Me, I don't like mono use items if I can help it. If you just want a cable release then take a look at this item. Pro Camera Gear

Or this item if you want a multi function cable release.Pro Camera Gear The cable is two pieces and can be used with other items that have a 1/8" plug.

If you want cheap wireless then here is a good remote at half the price of the Pixel. Pro Camera Gear

Personally, since I don't like mono items, I just use a couple of my Pocket Wizard's Works flawlessly from great ranges and all I needed was a cheap cable.

Personally, since I don't like mono items, I just use a couple of my Pocket Wizard's Works flawlessly from great ranges and all I needed was a cheap cable.
And what do two Pocket Wizards and "a cheap cable" cost you to make a shutter trigger? Ballpark is fine.

And what do two Pocket Wizards and "a cheap cable" cost you to make a shutter trigger? Ballpark is fine.

$12.95 for the cable. Done. I already had the pocket wizards for my lighting setup. Why spend $60 or $30 for a dedicated wireless trigger when I already had everything I needed except the cable. Not for everyone, but if you have a need for good wireless flash triggers, might as well put them to use when they aren't being used with lighting. Plus, just one less thing to have around and or carry around.

$12.95 for the cable. Done. I already had the pocket wizards for my lighting setup.
But you're not using them for your lighting setup if you're using them for your shutter trigger, so what's the total cost of that PW shutter trigger setup?

Why spend $60 or $30 for a dedicated wireless trigger when I already had everything I needed except the cable.
Imagine, crazy as this will sound, that you want to use those PWs for lighting, and you still need to remote trigger your shutter. What then? Buy another set of PWs as a shutter trigger so that you don't get stuck with a "mono-use" item?

Not for everyone, but if you have a need for good wireless flash triggers, might as well put them to use when they aren't being used with lighting.
And when they ARE being used for lighting, then what?

Plus, just one less thing to have around and or carry around.
Yeah, 'cuz a shutter trigger takes up so much room and is so heavy...

$12.95 for the cable. Done. I already had the pocket wizards for my lighting setup.
But you're not using them for your lighting setup if you're using them for your shutter trigger, so what's the total cost of that PW shutter trigger setup?

Imagine, crazy as this will sound, that you want to use those PWs for lighting, and you still need to remote trigger your shutter. What then? Buy another set of PWs as a shutter trigger so that you don't get stuck with a "mono-use" item?

Not for everyone, but if you have a need for good wireless flash triggers, might as well put them to use when they aren't being used with lighting.

Sitting here arguing with you is pointless. Simple fact is, if I am using all my PW's for lighting then I don't need a wireless trigger for what I am doing. When I need a wireless trigger I am not in a situation where I am using all my lights or my PW's. You are making the assumption that I have a couple of them which is the wrong assumption to make.

Sitting here arguing with you is pointless.
It doesn't have to be an argument. I asked a simple question, which you choose to avoid.

Simple fact is, if I am using all my PW's for lighting then I don't need a wireless trigger for what I am doing. When I need a wireless trigger I am not in a situation where I am using all my lights or my PW's.
Then you are a very unique person.

You are making the assumption that I have a couple of them which is the wrong assumption to make.
You're avoiding the point: The OP's looking for a shutter trigger, and you're suggesting he spend about $300-$400 to pull it off with PWs, which is total overkill.

It's like someone who wants to dig a post hole in the back yard to install a bird feeder, and you suggest a steam shovel.

It's like someone who wants to dig a post hole in the back yard to install a bird feeder, and you suggest a steam shovel.

Well, if the OP already has the steam shovel in the garage, and it's not already in use digging a drainage ditch or something, then it sounds like a pretty awesome solution to me, overkill or not ;).

Opposite extreme: don't spend any money, just use the built-in timer function on the camera. Total underkill.

Depending on what you need, you'll run into different price points. If you just need something to trip the shutter while you stand right there, you can get an after market cable release from about $3 on up. Amazon.com: RS-80N3

If you'd like it to be wireless but basic shutter or flash tripping is all you need, figure $25 to $30. Amazon.com: Yongnuo trigger

If you'd like all the bells and whistles, Sparky's solution comes in at about $70 to $80.

+1

Hey all,

Check out Amazon.com. Their prices are always much better than anyone else. I recently purchased a shutter release cable for my Canon for about $8. I saw one at a camera store in a local mall priced at $27.

For simplicity I can say I bought this canon RC 6 in 2004 I heavily use it and since it has never let me down. It's worked with my XTI, T2i, 7D, 5Dmkii, and now still works perfect with my 5Dmkiii.

I use pocketwizard to trigger my cam wirelessly. Works over a 1000 feet away. Didn't feel like walking any further
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back