Remote Shutter

jhackett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking into a remote shutter release for my XTi, and I have a few questions.

The Canon website says their product the RC-5 Remote Control is compatible with the XTi. Do I need a receiver that plugs into my camera along with it?

Also, can anyone suggest another brand for me to look into in lieu of Canon?

thanks,
//J

As far as I know, the receiver is built into the camera, so you wouldn't need anything else.

I built a wired remote out of RadioShack parts :D

As for wireless, the IR sensor is built into the camera. It's the red thing next to the lens.

Alright...hopefully you read this BEFORE you make the same mistake I did! I had the Rebel XT (should be the same as the XTi) in this regards and the RC-1 and RC-5 are both compatible.

A family member had a RC-1 with his XT, and so I thought, "well I'll just buy the nicer, sleeker, RC-5"

Yeah, the RC5's size is nice, but you can only do the 2-second remote thing (hit the button then 2 seconds later the shutter clicks)

So, I ended up forking over another 25 bucks on an Canon RC-1. The RC-1 has two options: 2 second firing, and immediate shutter release.

My recommendation would be: don't buy the RC-5. do buy the RC-1. The RC-1 also is capable of conveniently clipping to your camera strap so you won't lose it! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back