Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hay Gang

I'm trying to wrap my head around flashes and stuff, been reading Strobist's 101 guide and its been really helpful.

I'm now looking at some remote triggers my budget could vary, but I'm trying to do a trade off between use-ability in terms of range, a TTL mode and others things with cost.

If I was to go down the pocket wizard route what would the basic kit I would need to fire 2 off camera flashes?
And the same goes for if I was to go down the Cactus route.

May I just remind you all that this would be with Nikon cameras!

If you're using 2 flashes, you need 3 devices. Pocket Wizards ar transceivers, so you would need three since any one can transmit and any one can receive. The rest of the triggers are dedicated transmitters/receivers, afaik. So, you'd need one transmitter for the camera and 2 receivers for the flashes.

What Nikon speedlights do you have?

I have the following;

On camera - PW Mini TT1 for transmitter only... (I am still testing this one. My mind is not made up yet.)
SB600 - PW Plus 2 and a Hotshoe Mount needed... (Plus 2's work flawlessly)
SB900 - PW Plus 2

Last edited:
Two words.... RADIO POPPERS!!! They were built specifically for TTL OCF, and they work flawlessly by piggy-backing on the already fantastic Nikon CLS system. They are also more affordable than PW's. The transmitter is appx $250, and the receivers are appx $250. I can't recommend them enough.

Home - RadioPopper

The transmitter is appx $250, and the receivers are appx $250.

Now that is a tad to pricey for me!

Currently have 1 SB-900 but buying another in May, so always looking to get one step a-head and making sure that I can introduce new flashes into the system.

SB900 - PW Plus 2

EDIT No.4

Now found a guide, http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/profiles/reznicki/ this actually looks like the thing to get. What cables will I need? And what are these http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-nikon/ Whats the difference? Cheers

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that PW has released the TT triggers for Nikon yet...but there they are. The Canon ones came out over a year ago and have been had all sorts of problem with radio interference from the flash units. Hopefully the Nikon ones are better, but who knows?

The PW plus II units are the transceiver units and they usually work great, but their' still expensive and they aren't TTL.

If you are using the Nikon wireless system, and want to keep using it, then I'd suggest just getting more Nikon flash units.

If you are using the Nikon wireless system, and want to keep using it, then I'd suggest just getting more Nikon flash units.

I'm currently not using any wireless flashes but even if I started using CLS system I would need to use a on camera unit and then it doesn't work around corners or in the sun.

The transmitter is appx $250, and the receivers are appx $250.

Now that is a tad to pricey for me!

Currently have 1 SB-900 but buying another in May, so always looking to get one step a-head and making sure that I can introduce new flashes into the system.

SB900 - PW Plus 2

EDIT No.4

Now found a guide, PocketWizard® - Jack Reznicki this actually looks like the thing to get. What cables will I need? And what are these Pocketwizard® - Wireless transmitters and receivers Whats the difference? Cheers

The PW Flex series are so that you can use Nikon CLS off camera with the benefit of radio over light triggers. If you're planning on using just CLS, then you may be better off buying a Nikon with commander mode as the TTL triggers can get expensive. The PW PII remotes are just a trigger and will not be able to control your flashes while they're in TTL mode. If you're wanting to use manual off camera flashes or other flashes besides speedlights, then get the PII's if you must have pocket wizards. I use a mixture of Canon, Vivitar, and Speedotron and use all my flashes in a manual mode, so the Flex line is almost useless for me.

In fact, if you just need a reliable trigger and don't need the features of the PWs, then check out the Alien Bee Cyber Syncs. They're a reliable brand and they're much cheaper than the Pocket Wizards.

Also, if you're planning on using manual OCF, you can pick up flashes cheaper than the SB900 that will get the job done just as well for a fraction of the price, since you already have one. The only reason to buy multiple TTL first party flashes, imo, is if they have some feature that you absolutely must have and are willing to pay the premium for. I have 3 Canon speedlights because of the great range of adjustability and the fact that I can adjust power in 1/3 stops of light Vs. the Vivitars I have that only adjust in full stops. When I'm working at lower flash power, I like to be able to fine tune my settings and space isn't always an option for adjusting power via distance.

Just some things to think about.

Just some things to think about.

I'm so confused... PW Plus 2 are only triggers? So how do I get TTL triggers? I'm suppose I could do it manually...

I went with the PCB CyberSync system. I use them to trigger my SB-600, SB-800 and PCB White Lightning flashes. They have yet to fail me other than going to sleep. A pop on the test button wakes everybody up and start shooting. I haven't got the Cyber Commander, but it is an interesting piece of kit. One thing to keep in mind, if you were to ever consider the Cyber Commander, it will only work with the CSR+ and CSRB+ receivers.

IMO, you won't be using TTL as much as you would think with OCF. The only time I use TTL now is when I have a flash on the hotshoe and can't be bothered to do any light metering.

I'm so confused... PW Plus 2 are only triggers? So how do I get TTL triggers? I'm suppose I could do it manually...
Up until about two years ago, there were no TTL triggers (only the built in systems like Nikon CLS). The PW TT units are new and still quirky. The Radio Popper units seem to work well, but they aren't cheap and they require you to already have all the TTL compatible flashes in place.

So that means that all the photographers using remote flashes, were not using TTL. It's probably still something like 80-90% of us who use manual flash. It's not that hard to learn...and actually, plenty of photographers who could afford to go with TTL units, actually prefer the manual approach because it's consistent. TTL is still an 'auto mode' so to speak, so can be affected by things like metering & subject reflectivity.

As mentioned, one of the benefits of going the manual route, is that you can use cheaper flash units and cheaper triggers. I use the Cyber Sync triggers and am very happy with them, whether I'm triggering studio lights or OCF.

Almost, the transmitter is mounted on the hotshoe and the receivers are connected to your flash. If your flashes have an optical slave, then you don't necessarily need a receiver for each flash unit. The only fault with that is if you're shooting outside, the flash may not see the signal.

Most reactions

Back