Rented Two Cameras, Sat First Row At A Phillies Game, Should Not Have Rented a 1DX

1. I think you missed the peak action here

REALLY? They are also sharp, with focus in the appropriate places... not bad. I took the liberty of going through some of your threads... and I feel that the shots you do for your school newspaper are not quite up to this level... but that could be the T2i you use.

cgipson1 & cbarnard7 -- Last night when I was viewing this on my laptop all of these photos seem to be back-focused and/or soft, but when I looked at the thread on my phone earlier it showed up quite sharp and all the photos appeared much more in focus. I would like to apologize to the OP, since my tone was mainly based on this person renting some high-end gear yet not being able to hit the focus!

1. It's more of an opinion, I guess, and I would rather have a tighter crop on the second baseman and the runner and maybe a frame or two later with the second baseman reaching for the runner. Still a good shot though.
2. It is a cool picture. Technically sound, but eyes would make it more powerful.
3. WB is still off, but the photo is very sharp. Again I'd rather see some eyes
4. Good shot
5. Good stock shot
6. I like this shot, but 3 could be a little more in focus. Originally it looked like it was focused on the back wall for me.

Again I apologize for the tone of last post, I did not realize that these photos were pretty sharp until I was reading this thread on my iPhone.

No worries. I appreciate any input. I wouldn't post pics for criticism if I couldn't take it. I didn't take it personal. :)

And thank you everyone else as well for comments! Always appreciated!

I'm struggling to understand what you mean by "peak action?" Have you watched baseball lately?
Touche. There is really no such thing as peak action in baseball.

(That's what you meant right? Right?)

I think you did a pretty good job on most of these, considering you're also using gear that is new to you. Of the two bodies the 1Dx is a superior camera, including the over inflated price tag Canon attached to it. I entertained the idea of buying one last year and went with the 5D Mklll, which is pretty much the same body, slower fps, but that so far hasn't been an issue with any of the sports I've been shooting, and I have shot more than 25 different sports with it. Sports is still all about timing and the need for 12-14fps isn't always necessary. I have also found that photographers that lean on the shutter are compensating for a lack of understanding and experience in what they are covering. I will add that for some sports it is very helpful to have the faster frame rate.

I think you should head out and shoot some more baseball once you buy your new camera, you'll only get better.

You should have rented a big ass lens and 1 body instead :).

With the big MP on the two bodies, I have found that a lot of the time you can get away with using a shorter lens(70-200mm as in this case) and the crops are still producing a great final image size. However I do agree Robin, I always use a 300 2.8 and usually a 1.4 as well, it's nice to have the ability to crop, but nice to have a full frame image to work with.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! And to the person who asked why I shouldn't have rented the 1DX, it's because I really, REALLY want one now, but I also need to eat lol.

And I would have rented a longer lens, but the MLB (or at least Citizens Bank Park) has a restriction on the length of lenses (in terms of actual inches, not focal length.) I technically wasn't even supposed to have my 70-200 2.8 because it exceeded the size limit, but I hid it under some other gear in my bag. I figured since I was in the front row, having a longer lens wouldn't really bother anybody. Nobody seemed to complain and I even had a few people ask me to send them pictures I took, so that's a plus I guess :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back