What's new

Renting a Sigma 50-500mm

Billhyco

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
254
Reaction score
3
Location
Burlington, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey.... I am headed to a big outdoor street circuit auto race in Baltimore so I wanted to have a nice range of zoom on hand with me. I have decided to rent the Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 HSM OS for the weekend. One b/c that lens isn't to terribly expensive to rent ($135.00 for a few days) and two i like the thought of 500mm zoom lens with me. Having never shot with anything of that size anyone have any hints or tips? I did some reading and found its pretty decent even for sporting events. Somewhat decent in low light even hand held. I should just be using it during the day with a mono pod. Only one body to bring, a Nikon D90. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. I have done a few other races with my old setup which included a Sony body and a Tamron 70-300mm.

Thanks for any information. Oh if anyone uses this lens a example photo(s) would be great!
 
You'll need a monopod to mount it on, and about 2 days of practice to figure out how to use it effectively, particualrly for panning. I hope you're not shooting from a grandstand on race day. That will seriously limit your manouverability having people all around you.

The OS has 2 settings. IIRC you'll want to use setting #2 so you can pan.

Use Av mode on the camera, and at 50 mm set the lens to it's max aperture. As you zoom the aperture will stay at the max for what ever focal length you zoomed to until it will be at f/6.3 at 500 mm.

I would also recommend you set the ISO to auto so it will float, but you'll have to keep a close eye on the shutter speed in the viewfinder

I used to have a couple of the Sigma 150-500 HSM OS. They were used to shoot mainly youth and adult daytime field sports.
 
I am defiantely taking along my monopod for the weekend. My tickets are not grandstand, I couldn't sit in one place with that kind of gear with me :)

Good info to know about using setting #2. What are the differences between 1 and 2?

From the reviews I read everything said it may take a slightly higher ISO then normal so I figured I would let it float just as you mentioned.

I did manage to rent it a couple days before I leave for exactly what you mentioned, PRACTICE! I like to get to know a lens well before feeling comfortable with it.

Thanks for the good info thus far!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom