Renting some equipment for football: Advice?

matt.garnett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My high school team is on their way to the state championship and I want to get some awesome pictures of them. I'm not really sure what my best bet would be, but I'm thinking I'll pick up a Canon 1D Mk IV with a 300mm f/2.8 and use that as my main camera and then have a wide-angle lens on a 5d MK II as a my second camera.. What do you guys think? Should I go for the 70-200mm on the 5d mk ii?

Sounds good. Pretty standard approach. Have the 300mm on a monopod, and the shotr lens on the 5D worn around your neck. It takes a while to get used to handling two cameras this way.

Juggling both might not work so well for you. I would go for the70-200 and not a wide on the 5d2. I have a hell of a time shooting sports with the 5d2, the focus issues really show up hard core in sports. Especially football where you are using a focus point other than the center one. Hopefully the stadium they are playing in will be WELL lit and it won't matter much, but if it's a night game it will definitely matter.

1D mk IV with 300 2.8 as your main - yep, spot on, wouldn't pick the 5D mk II as your 2nd tho. Personally i'd go 7D with the 70-200 2.8 - better AF than the mk II and higher fps, which in sports is a huge factor. Depends what you use now tho, if you don't use any of the gear already it will take some getting used to, specially with 2 different bodies.

Agreed, 70-200 on secondary body. I how you have a Black Rapid strap, it's hard to run/get out of the way quickly with a 300 on a monopod and another body on a standard strap hanging there..

I would get a 400F2.8, if your not used to handling 2 cameras at once with big lenses you could end up with a big bill

I would get a 400F2.8, if your not used to handling 2 cameras at once with big lenses you could end up with a big bill

Actually that's a good point - a 300 2.8 may not give you enough reach on an american football field (not sure what size the pitches are), tho there's quite a big difference in size and weight between the 300 and the 400. If you're talking about hiring 2 pro-spec bodies and 2 fast teles it will cost you a fair whack, specially if you drop one!

You'll need a day or two to get familiar with how to use the rented gear.

With 2 bodies, one being mounted on a long lens on a monopod, I rotate the long lens and rest it over my left shoulder as I grab the 2nd body with the shorter lens mounted that is hanging at my right hip on a Black Rapid strap.

If you do not have time to work both with the body and the lens I would suggest that you pick one or the other but not both. The 1D MkIV is a different beast than the mid line bodies. I love mine for sports, but it takes a bit of getting used to if you are used to a 5D 50D, 7D or a rebel series. Personally, I generally use my 400mm f2.8 for football from the sidelines for the reach it provides with a 70-200mm f2.8 on my 1D MkIII as my second body. I generally have a 24-70 f 2.8 in the vest for pre and post game sideline on field shots.

My 300mm f2.8 gets a lot more work for baseball and track and field. Just my preference for shooting sports.

Alright well this would be the first time shooting with two cameras so I think that you guys are right, I may not be able to get out of the way quite fast enough..! So I think I'm just gonna pick up the 1d mk IV with a 400mm lens (on a monopod) and my advisor can probably handle the 70-200mm fine. Plus the game is at Jerry's House so I doubt light will be too big of a problem! One last question though-- do you think I'd get a better deal renting local (Competitive Camera in Dallas for those of you interested) or some sort of online website? Thanks for all the responses!

Go with the MKIV and the 400. You might not have a bad time with focusing with a lesser camera and the 70-200 because the light in Cowboys Stadium is pretty good.

Most of the time you are looking at shutter speeds around 1/3200 @ f3.2 with ISO 2500Cowboys Stadium with full light on players and down to 1/2000 @ f2.8 ISO 2500 if you are trying to catch details in piles where players faces are shadowed. So you should have lots of room to play with exposures and keep focusing up with less than a 1D?? camera. Also, if you keep your eyes open using two cameras won't be too much of an issue if you mainly use the 400 and stick to the 70-200 for action that is closer to you. Remember to stay back from sidelines at least 2 yards (usually the same distance as the players box), but with the 400 you can even get further back giving you more room.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back