Repair Project #1 In Progress.LOL

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Have a 55 LED ViZIO Smart TV I purchased three years ago that no longer has a warranty.My picture bit the dust a few days ago.:concern: I got a rough repair estimate of half the price of what the TV cost new.After a few you tube videos later and metering voltage from the power supply to the main board and a flashlight test, I am pretty sure its the LED Driver because I have no back lights but have power. So I am Waiting a $25.00 LED driver for project # 2, putting the part in and putting it all back together with lots of screws and in hopes of it working again. I hope I could fix this thing because the picture is every bit as good as a samsung LED I have In another room that cost $500.00 more.Well here it is in surgery and the part In question is located bottom left that I took out and put the metal casing back just so have a few less screws in tupperware storage.

DSC_0363.jpg
DSC_0364.jpg
DSC_0365.jpg

Isn't Youtube wonderful! I have replaced a lamp (pretty easy) and a Color Wheel on a 46" Samsung DLP television. The replacement lamp I believe was approx. $20-$30 dollars, and I can't remember what the Color Wheel costs, but it was significantly less than sending it to a repair shop.

I've also replaced a component in our dryer that was less than $5.00, purchased from Amazon. It was pretty cool to see the big drum and basically the pulley system of the dryer.

Gotta love saving money and only sacrifice a little time and a few scratched knuckles.

Yes Jack you tube is great.I even called one repair place supposedly does free in home estimates that was suppose to have a tech call me and never did.I guess business must be good when can can ignore a potential customer and one place just told me to put it in the trash it's not worth fixing and hung up on me.Even if its the main board it is still under $100.00 to fix.I have nothing to lose but time so its worth a shot.

Yes, it is more than likely the LED driver. Make sure to closely inspect the capacitors for bulging or leaking while it's apart. Looks like they are the quality ones from what I can tell.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Jc, I looked with out touching and don't see any obvious signs of a problem but then again I know squat about televisions on a repair level.The back of the board looks like it burned but that might be normal from heat maybe.

Thanks Jc, I looked with out touching and don't see any obvious signs of a problem but then again I know squat about televisions on a repair level.The back of the board looks like it burned but that might be normal from heat maybe.
That's common for the amount of heat and trapped dust in the unit. You can use a magnifying glass to visually inspect the cross at the top of the cap for separation and bulging on sides. Look for leaky acid on base of cap. If it's not apparent at normal vision, more than likely OK. I'm blind as a bat and use a lighted led magnifying head set.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help.My eye site sucks to,I still don't know how I see through the view finder of my camera.LOL

With some trepidation, I replaced some door switches on a microwave.
There were all sorts of warnings about large capacitors that had me spooked but actually replacing the switches took no time.
I learned a lot by reading; it turns out that most of failure in microwaves is caused by opening the door to shut off the power.
That puts stress on switches that aren't designed to take it.

could be why our microwaves don't last very long.I thought spending a little more on one would last longer.I bought sharp that had rave reviews and was dead in 8 months.Oops.

Well, the schematics are available online for most microwaves, the switches are ~$20 and if the switches or lead wires are burnt, it's really obvious by inspection. Just avoid the big condensers but, if you do brush against it, may I have your cameras?

Well, the schematics are available online for most microwaves, the switches are ~$20 and if the switches or lead wires are burnt, it's really obvious by inspection. Just avoid the big condensers but, if you do brush against it, may I have your cameras?
Mehhh... they probably won't kill you, but I can guarantee they will make you say some bad words!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back