Repairing a Nikon Lens AF-S

PushingTin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.christwine.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a second hand prime lens from a private individual yesterday...

I tested the lens at his place and it seemed to work fine but I only took a couple of shots.

This is a Nikon 300 f4 AF-S I am talking about.

Today on my first real test with the lens, when i switched it on and tried to take the first shot, the AF-S squeeked and then stopped working. The lens does not auto focus at all, I can only use it in Manual mode :confused:

When I got home, I can hear the autofocus is trying (a very very faint noise that its trying to do something).

What a bummer, talk about a raw deal :grumpy:

How much do you think a repair centre will charge to replace the AF-S motor (if thats the problem?)

Damn, cant believe it!!!!!!!

Yeah I will, its a long weekend here so they only open on Tues again.

Was trying to get a feel for how much I am in for and if you think it is the AF-S motor?

My 18-135mm AF-S had a similar problem, except it made a real loud screeching noise. I had my mom ship it to nikon but she didnt insure it and it got lost in the USPS mail system =(

1 broken 18-135 lens richer that was warrantied and registered to me atleast, haha.

Now i always do insurance and tracking. Its worth it.

Yip agreed...

ANyone got an answer for me though? You think its the AF-S motor and is it expensive to repair?

You ever opened a lens before? Believe me it's not something you want to do yourself unless you are very very confident in solving puzzles.

You ever opened a lens before? Believe me it's not something you want to do yourself unless you are very very confident in solving puzzles.

I have seen one broken open once... Who knew there were so many gosh darn parts!

Just thought I would update. I returned the second hand lens and got a full refund from the seller.

I have now bought a brand new 300 F4 and am so glad i did. This one works as it should - and man is it sharp! My new fav lens!!!! :)

All happy again.

Most reactions

Back