I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanted a 2nd battery for my 20D and the Canon BP511A Battery Pack is $103 CDN.

Instead I ordered a battery from SterlingTek. The battery is 1800 mA compared to the 1300 of the BP511A so it should last longer...and it's only $11.99 US. It was about $20 with shipping. The shipping was USPS, so there were no extra fees like there would be from UPS, FED-EX etc.

I've charged it up and it works fine...I haven't had a chance to see how long it lasts compared to the Canon battery though.

From what I have read, the difference is that the cheaper battery is not as well suited to overheating. It does not vent the same as the Canon battery...but it does have overheat shutoff or something like that. It shouldn't be an issue as long as I keep the camera & battery out of direct sunlight for extended periods of time...which I would be doing anyway.

I would recommend this for anyone with a Canon Powershot G#, Powershot Pro #, or digital SLR.

Wow. Good work on finding such a cheap battery. You'll definately have to tell us how it goes in the long run!

I'm a little cautious though of how reliable it will be. Maybe there's no problem with the Canons. But I bought a cheap battery for my Sony Video Recorder and it doesn't charge properly anymore... it might be having this same over heating problem you're talking about, so I'll look into that.

But considering you got it for practically 10% of the price, who cares if it dies soon, it'll still be a good buy.

I have been buying the cheaper generic BP-511 type batteries for a couple of years now and have not had problems with any of them. After a year of use, one battery doesn't take as many pictures as it did when new, but for the $9 I paid for it, that's not bad. I found that the Japaneese clones at 1800 mAh work real well. Between my D30 and 10D I've got about a dozen spare batteries and several still in the box. With them being so cheap, even if they last only a year, it's still cheaper than buying the Canon version. I do wish they had the little protective cover that the Canon one's have, but for that cheap, you can't have everything. :D Now that I've upgraded to a 1DMKII my batteries are a bit more expensive... about $70 for a generic. But then the batteries last a lot longer than they did with my D30 and 10D.

I have bought from Sterling as well and have had good service.

Mike

All I can say about SterlingTek is WOW.

After asking around, I heard they were good. So I ordered two batteries for my Rebel XT, $13.99 each, a fraction of the price of a Canon Battery and twice the capacity. So I ordered around 3pm right.....

Next morning, FedEx knocks on the door, 'here ya go' I look at the return address, SterlingTek!!!

I got my batteries the NEXT MORNING!

Work great so far.

I have great luck with the generic batteries you can find on ebay.

I bought two replacement bp-511 batteries for my 5D months ago, it's 1600mAh for each one, now the two batteries use good, the price?
it was the cheapest one i 'never saw.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back