Requesting a list of companies that make old M42 lenses.

chuttney1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As much as i like canon lenses, their 50mm f/1.4 is completely terrible especially when the ring gear inside stops working. Had it repaired one and has broken again. I'm done dealing with such things. I only liked it for the nice bokeh and cinema like qualities when using a lens with a f/2.8 or larger aperture. Plus I have a Canon AE-1 Program whose 50mm lens is by far better in quality. I did read about adapting a FD lens to EOS, image quality of the 50mm at its largest aperture produces some kind of hazy picture that i don't like. I believe lenses made of metal are superior to plastic unless the glass isn't. So now i hear about the M42 lens and screw mount and the awesome picture quality at its widest opening, but have no idea where to start as to what are the good companies that made great lenses at the time. I don't mind losing the autofocus to attain a good lens for under $100.

Hi. Welcome to TPF.
What lens are you looking for, 50/1.4 ?

Pentax (or Asahi) Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is popular in M42 mount. Asahi Optical Co. was the parent company that made Pentax, as I understand it. Pentax was imported into the USA by Honeywell, for a few years. There are some 55mm Takumars available cheaply, as I recall an f/1.8 and an f/2, I think it was. I have a relatively recently-acquired 55mm Takumar floating around here somewhere...bought it at Goodwill for $9.95, with a set of three extension tubes with it!!!

There are a TON of m42 50mm lenses, made by Pentax or Asahi, "GAF", Fuji, Ricoh, Meyer, Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena, Praktica, and on and on and on. The manual focus forum ought to have tons of suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back