What's new

Research

Buckster

In memoriam
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
6,399
Reaction score
2,341
Location
Way up North in Michigan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple shots of my microscope. In the middle of stem cell transplant here, so med stuff has been on my mind, and I thought this might make an interesting subject.

Used 3 speedlites, plus the light of the microscope itself covered with a red gel. The three speedlites:

1 aqua gelled camera left raking the microscope arm to get a bit of texture, with a gobo to keep the light off the background.
1 snooted bare (no gel) camera right for white specular highlights.
1 snooted with blue gel for background.

1.
Research_2946.jpg


2.
Research_2930.jpg
 
Thats a nice shot and a great use of off camera flash.

I'm trying hard to learn ocf the best I can. I find that positioning of the light is by far the hardest. You'll look at the angle you have the light and be like man I bet that doesn't even hit them but somehow it ends up being feathered perfectly.

Guess I just need more practice.

The specular highlights are on the reflective portion of the scope right? That's a nice little touch that makes a huge difference.
 
Wow! Beautiful!
 
Interesting shots. Hope all goes well for you
 
Thats a nice shot and a great use of off camera flash.
Thank you kindly!

I'm trying hard to learn ocf the best I can. I find that positioning of the light is by far the hardest. You'll look at the angle you have the light and be like man I bet that doesn't even hit them but somehow it ends up being feathered perfectly.

Guess I just need more practice.
Yep, just keep practicing and trying different things - it's a great teacher!

The specular highlights are on the reflective portion of the scope right? That's a nice little touch that makes a huge difference.
Thanks. Yeah, the specular highlights are the bright reflections that give the viewer visual clues about texture, depth and dimension of objects in photos.
 
A couple shots of my microscope. In the middle of stem cell transplant here, so med stuff has been on my mind, and I thought this might make an interesting subject.

Used 3 speedlites, plus the light of the microscope itself covered with a red gel. The three speedlites:

1 aqua gelled camera left raking the microscope arm to get a bit of texture, with a gobo to keep the light off the background.
1 snooted bare (no gel) camera right for white specular highlights.
1 snooted with blue gel for background.


What do you DO for a living?!?

I like the second picture--the lighting is definitely what makes it interesting, to me at least.
 
Sorry Buckster I did not like this one as it reminded me of the disco industrial stuff I had to shoot in the 1980's LOL I felt like a gel merchant back then. Nicely done though!
 
A couple shots of my microscope. In the middle of stem cell transplant here, so med stuff has been on my mind, and I thought this might make an interesting subject.

Used 3 speedlites, plus the light of the microscope itself covered with a red gel. The three speedlites:

1 aqua gelled camera left raking the microscope arm to get a bit of texture, with a gobo to keep the light off the background.
1 snooted bare (no gel) camera right for white specular highlights.
1 snooted with blue gel for background.


What do you DO for a living?!?
Retired telecommunications construction engineer (33 years). The stem cell transplant is to deal with my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (11 years, so far, and still kicking butt here!! :thumbup::) )

I like the second picture--the lighting is definitely what makes it interesting, to me at least.
Thank you kindly!
 
Sorry Buckster I did not like this one as it reminded me of the disco industrial stuff I had to shoot in the 1980's LOL I felt like a gel merchant back then. Nicely done though!
LOL! Understood! That's when I picked it up too, but luckily never HAD to do it - just my hobby, so I never grew tired of it. :lol:
 
A couple shots of my microscope. In the middle of stem cell transplant here, so med stuff has been on my mind, and I thought this might make an interesting subject.

Used 3 speedlites, plus the light of the microscope itself covered with a red gel. The three speedlites:

1 aqua gelled camera left raking the microscope arm to get a bit of texture, with a gobo to keep the light off the background.
1 snooted bare (no gel) camera right for white specular highlights.
1 snooted with blue gel for background.


What do you DO for a living?!?
Retired telecommunications construction engineer (33 years). The stem cell transplant is to deal with my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (11 years, so far, and still kicking butt here!! :thumbup::) )

I like the second picture--the lighting is definitely what makes it interesting, to me at least.
Thank you kindly!

AH, okay, that makes sense now. Just the "in the middle of" coupled with talking about YOUR microscope...I thought YOU were performing a stem cell transplant! :lol: My thinking process really HAS been whacked lately. :D

Eleven years is awesome!! Godspeed on the transplant and another 11...and then some!
 
Amazing man.. beautiful flash photography..
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom