resizing in lightroom

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I worked in Lightroom on the raw files of some pictures. I did all my editing, and then I have cropped, with the crop tool to improve composition.

I sent the resulting jpeg files to the person who is doing my website and the size was something like 1024x540 (that was just one of them, the others have similar height values, with the width remaining constant). The person who is doing my website asked me to change the size to 1381x1119. So I simply went to the export dialog, and changed the image sizing to 1381x1119. The new files don't match this proportions, I guess because of the way I have cropped them. Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

You have cropped to an aspect ratio (ratio of long side to short one) that is different from that which the web designer wants.
Reset the picture to the original, set the crop tool to a custom size (using, of course, the size ratio the designer needs) and recrop.

I worked in Lightroom on the raw files of some pictures. I did all my editing, and then I have cropped, with the crop tool to improve composition.

I sent the resulting jpeg files to the person who is doing my website and the size was something like 1024x540 (that was just one of them, the others have similar height values, with the width remaining constant). The person who is doing my website asked me to change the size to 1381x1119. So I simply went to the export dialog, and changed the image sizing to 1381x1119. The new files don't match this proportions, I guess because of the way I have cropped them. Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
1024 x 540 is very rectangular with the long side being 1.9 times longer than the short side. It's so rectangular it would be called a panorama type crop.

1381 x 1119 is much closer to being a square than a rectangle, with the long side being only 1.23 times longer than the short side.
1381 x 1119 is close to the 1.25 aspect ratio (5:4) of 4x5, 8x10, 16x20 prints-

Most DSLR cameras make images that have the long side 1.5 times longer than the short side (3:2 aspect ratio). 3:2 images print as 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 16x24.

AspectRatioChartv2-1.png

Last edited:
Nice chart, Keith!!! Very useful!

One of the things that threw me a bit when I was learning LR is that cropping works only off of aspect ratio -- actual sizing happens in export. Now, in your case, since you're looking for such an exact dimension, I think the easiest is to use a ratio that's the same as the size you're going to export, but it's still going to be a ratio when you're cropping.

I can add more later if this doesn't make sense, but consider that a 4x5 print is exactly the same ratio as a 8x10, so you can use exactly the same crop for both pictures even though you're printing both at different sizes.

HTH.

I don't get it. Wouldn't it change the whole image? I mean, I cropped the pictures to better match composition rules. For instance I lowered the horizon to match the rule of thirds, If I made it into a square, the horizon couldn't be placed as low, unless I made a tighter crop.I tried in the crop box to hit on customs, and in the aspect ratio window, the standard values that pop up are 1,000X1,000. I assume that's what I would change. And According to Keith's chart, I would change it to 5x4. Is that correct?

As Keith indicated, the ratio of 1381x1119 is very close to 5x4, but not quite the same. If you show both ratios as a x:1 ratio, yous is 1.234:1 (rounded) vs. 1.25:1 for a 5x4 crop. This means that if you cropped as 5x4, you'd be close, but you still couldn't export to exactly the size you're looking for.

If it were me, this is what I'd do.

(1) Make a virtual copy of your image, since you're cropping for a very specific size that you may not need again.
(2) Set a custom crop size of 1381 x 1119. Note that since LR only gives you four decimal places, for very large custom crops, you might have to use decimals, but that's really not a problem since the ratio will still be the same. In this case, though, you can enter 1381 x 1119 directly.
(3) Crop as desired using this ratio.
(4) Export, using 1381 x 1119 as your output size.
(5) Verify you've got the right size by right-clicking the output image and checking the dimensions in Explorer, or whatever.

That should do the trick for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back