resizing pics...

aparis99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What software do you all use to resize ur images? I'm under the impression that resizing causes some quality loss, at least from what i can tell with diagonal lines and such, they seem more jagged... maybe they dont i dont know.

I've seen the Windows resizer, photoshop kinda takes a while, Infranview is ok, anyone have any fav's?

Example: a pic that's 2-3mb, the windows resizer can make it 'large' 1024x768 and it will end up only like 40kb! How is that possible without losing quality?

aparis99 said:
What software do you all use to resize ur images? I'm under the impression that resizing causes some quality loss, at least from what i can tell with diagonal lines and such, they seem more jagged... maybe they dont i dont know.

I've seen the Windows resizer, photoshop kinda takes a while, Infranview is ok, anyone have any fav's?

Example: a pic that's 2-3mb, the windows resizer can make it 'large' 1024x768 and it will end up only like 40kb! How is that possible without losing quality?

It loses plenty of quality. You just can't see it because you are looking at a low resolution JPEG on a computer monitor. If you were looking at a print the difference would be obvious.

Hi,

Are you talking about upscaling or downsclaing? For downsizing you really shouldn't tell a difference as long as you keep the original aspect ratio.

Resizing is a long debate amongst professionals and there are many parameters that affect the end quality. One of them is whether you are using a Bilinear, a Bicubic or a Lanczos resizer. You should try and use them all and make comparisons. As a rule bilinear resizers are softer than bicubic and Lanczos.

Photoshop's power comes from its extendable capabilities. There are hundreds of professional plugins designed having photographers in mind. I've seen a few plugins and they are very impressive. Unfortunatelly I cannot any in specific but you should be able to Google them very easily. Just add them to Photoshop and try them before you make a decision to purchase. Some of them might even be free.

Googling ''photoshop plugins + resizing'' came with a few links. One of them is: http://www.fredmiranda.com/RP/
also: http://photoshop.pluginsworld.com/plugin.php?directory=adobe&software=photoshop&plugin=188

Bear in mind that you achive best results by creatively mixing plugins.

sp_key said:
Hi,

Are you talking about upscaling or downsclaing? For downsizing you really shouldn't tell a difference as long as you keep the original aspect ratio.

Well depnding on by which fraction of the original you downscale, and by the algorithm you use, you might lose sharpness when downscaling. But a hint of PS-sharpening then does the job to compensate.

It's a lossy process, take that old pic and zoom it to 400% to see the effect of what resizing has done. Whereas the old picture may be 1024x768 at 25% zoom, at 100% it should still be sharp.

Also I use a Lanczos based resizer. It gives me so far the nicest image from all. Photoshop has not got one yet though.

I'm pretty much just wanting to downsize everything, i take all pics superfine and they are just too large, i use them mainly for web, rarely print, but maybe some 4x6's here and there, maybe i should just make the resolution on the camera smaller?

aparis99 said:
maybe i should just make the resolution on the camera smaller?

ahhh. noo never do that!

you might bitterley regret if you want to make a large print from one of them next year.
someone might ask you if he could have a higher resolution version for a magazine or anything can happen ... therefore: always archive at the native resolution of your camera ... with maximum information in the image.

If you have PS - you can either set up your files to be batch-processed (and thus resized), or you can create a PS ACTION to do it all within PS.

Well, i've used PS CS2 but go for so long w/o using it i forget everything. so right now i've got Photoshop Elements 5... i'll figure out a way

Most reactions

New Topics

Back