Resolution

Christoph Horn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!
A total beginner at photography. Recently I purchased an iphone and have been taking a lot of photos for instagram and for a couple of sites. One site is called 500px.com Uploaded one photo and is getting popular. The site is asking me to increase the resolution of the photo to 2000. Do I need photoshop to do that or is there some other away to go about it? I don't have photoshop. Cheers for any tips. Christoph
Below is what was said.
"Oops! It looks like this image is too small for licensing. Resolution is a big deal to the buyers who want your photos. Submit a version that’s at least 2000px on the longest edge! (#005)"

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, good luck with your phone.......

Typically the phone's resolution itself can be set to something larger.

You need to figure out how that is done because each phone is diff.
it sounds like you have it set to small, so checking it may bring it up to the 2000 mark they want.
Otherwise once shot the resolution really cant be increased.

You can increase the density with software (Photoshop i.e.) But! only a little and not very well. You need to have a camera that takes the photo with more density.

I don't know iPhones well enough, but with the LG I have there are pretty limited options as to how high the resolution but it has to be set in advance. Don't know how you would do post image capture resolution increase.

You didn't mention which iPhone you have. My iPhone 8 Plus has 2 x 12 MP cameras in a 4:3 aspect ratio so the image resolution is 4000 pixels x 3000 pixels (actually 4032 x 3024). The final jpg compressed file size is somewhere around 2.5 Mbytes.

I went to the 500px.com site and looked at their requirements. All they say is color jpg at 3MP or greater for high resolution images. Later iPhone models should exceed this requirement.

Don't know how you could post an image < 2000 pixels unless you did some sort of post processing.

Last edited:
Well, if you have an iPhone, then you don't need different apps. Especially if are paid apps. One app will be enough for you. For example, when I started taking pictures I used https://imglarger.com. I still use it. It's very comfortable. Here you can improve the quality of the photo even if it is made on a bad phone. I really like that thanks to their functions, you can increase the photos and the quality doesn't deteriorate. If you plan to seriously take up photography, then you will need to buy a camera.

Last edited:
There are probably settings in the camera app for quality and file size. Lower settings will consume less memory, the only reason to use lower-resolution settings.

Most reactions

Back