Respect for yesterday's photo journalist

I still have a couple of F2-a models, as well as my F Photomic FTN.. for which I also have a very clean non metered prism. I actually like the F better than the F2.

For a short time in 1985 I owned an F2-Asb,which used a silicone blue metering system and had a match-diode meter.
I was like that at first but I had my F2 serviced by Sover Wong and it's like a fine watch. I two gun it quite often and my F is the other. I also have a F3HP and a F4 that hardly sees any action. At some point I will acquire the F5 and F6 to complete my collection. I have also been looking for a nice all black F or F2 for some time now but very over priced.

I shot the F3HP from 1985 to 2001... great viewfinder for those of us who wear eyeglasses. The HP stands for "high eye point". One could see the entire viewfinfer image with the eye as far back as 25 mm. Today's Nikon digitals offer an eyepoint of 17 or 18 mm.

I think that painting a chrome camera would be the best way to get an all black one. There are some great camera painters in Japan, and a good article on painting cameras at www.cameraquest.com

Talking of lens creep
I have an old ef 35 105 that I use a lot for table top photos lens pointing down . Over the last year the creep has got so bad the zoom will not stay at all just got loose with abuse er I mean use lol

Nice shots. You laughed at him when he was politely, 'insulting you' ... some millennial's would consider your actions to be rude. :biggrin-new: :trink39:

Talking of lens creep
I have an old ef 35 105 that I use a lot for table top photos lens pointing down . Over the last year the creep has got so bad the zoom will not stay at all just got loose with abuse er I mean use lol

I wish the lens designers. of lens with zoom rings would increase the zoom throw, from less than 90 degrees to 120+ degrees. That way the cam angle of the zoom, to move the optics, would be less steep. That simple mechanical solution would reduce the tendency of an extending zoom to creep out, without having to dampen it with a lot of grease. And that would also make the zoom ring easier to turn.

I challenged myself a lot last year with all manual photography. I have a great deal of respect for those sports photo men back in the day. It was fun and hopefully I can do some more this year.... I was literally called an idiot by a older man (mid to late 60's, maybe early 70's. He said, I had a camera like that long ago, are you some kind of idiot? I LMAO....

Nikon F2, 300mm f/4.5 AI, Fujifilm 400H. Darkroom lab developed.

View attachment 188932

View attachment 188933

View attachment 188935

View attachment 188936

View attachment 188934

Good for you! I never thought about settings and such---my film back in the day was good ol" 400asa Kodak. Tri-X.
Hanging from a helicopter during an operation or dodging protesters/rioters in a city it was pretty much a seat of the pants deal. You instinctively set controls ahead of time. Focus? Set to infinity at f/8 (usually!) got a good image.
Of course in the tropical jungle with outrageous temps and humidity--film going bad was always an issue as well.
Shoot more film--your images are great! And, that F2 is a great camera for the job.
get the image

80-200 f/4,AI-S, 62mm filter size, bought 10 years ago, used.
153255837.sqheByhi._DSC4900_80200mmf4Nikkor_CROP_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I've always shot sports (hockey) focusing manually. That's how I learned and to me isn't hard to do. Guess it just took a lot of practice and once you learn it you don't forget it. Takes anticipating the action, I like to let them skate into my viewfinder.

I don't use zoom lenses so no creeping lenses for me (and at first what came to mind was 'creepy' lenses!)

Derrel you forgot to take the sticker off. (jk I know then half the time when you do then there's residue from the sticker...)

80-200 f/4,AI-S, 62mm filter size, bought 10 years ago, used.View attachment 195033

I bought two of them used, and both had binding zooms :( One REALLY BAD.
Whoever had them knocked them hard against something.
I was advised on the first one, that it was not worth the cost to repair it.
So I'm still looking for a good one.

But I have the 80-200/4.5 which is butter smooth.

Most reactions

Back