Restaurant Barge - Golden Hour

I think the first is the most engaging but very nice group of photos of her. I really don't care for the ones in dark glasses though except where they're reflecting the sunset.

Yes - I prefer to not take photos of her in sunglasses, but the sun was making her squint, and she hadn't brought her own sunglasses, so I gave her my Ray Bans.

They have an orange mirror lens, so at least it worked for the sunset reflections.

@Tropicalmemories FYI I hope when you get the chance you will repost these after you run them through Lr. I really like the last now!!! Only other suggestion would be to use the adjustment brush on her hair just a tad to lift the shadow, and gain a little detail.

LRM_EXPORT_170528811565591_20190522_093907676.jpeg

Another one from the same trip - but using Lightroom this time.

The last shot is by far the best of the sunglasses shots.

Thank you! I was looking back at the photos from the evening and liked the dynamic look.

I also thought this one was nice, but not sure about the way the hill in the background intersects her face?

LRM_EXPORT_169358616399082_20190522_091937481.jpeg

Of all the shots, I still prefer the first and last one posted on Sunday. The one you posted yesterday the processing is better but her pose feels unbalanced, and the lack of reflection in the glasses creates black blobs of distraction. It's also a little flat, as in needing more separation from the sky.

I took the liberty of looking at a couple of the shots, and doing some editing on the one I really liked. Overall I think most of them could benefit by a boost of +.75 to exposure as well as refinement in Lr. Here's an example of the image mentioned.
LRM_EXPORT_89575613846652_20190520_035929110.jpg

and the settings.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG
In addition to these I used an adjustment brush on her to further adjust the color and raise the shadow. Then a separate adjustment brush to raise the hair detail, and finally a brush to soften the skin on the cheek just a tad.

Last edited:
Of all the shots, I still prefer the first and last one posted on Sunday. The one you posted yesterday the processing is better but her pose feels unbalanced, and the lack of reflection in the glasses creates black blobs of distraction. It's also a little flat, as in needing more separation from the sky.

I took the liberty of looking at a couple of the shots, and doing some editing on the one I really liked. Overall I think most of them could benefit by a boost of +.75 to exposure as well as refinement in Lr. Here's an example of the image mentioned.

In addition to these I used an adjustment brush on her to further adjust the color and raise the shadow. Then a separate adjustment brush to raise the hair detail, and finally a brush to soften the skin on the cheek just a tad.

Thank you!

Interesting to what can be improved in post processing.

I tend to stick to a bit of cropping and minimal healing and smoothing.

I tend to stick to a bit of cropping and minimal healing and smoothing

Nothing wrong with that. One thing that happens in shots like this, is the camera meter assumes the reflectivity of everything being equal to 18% gray. The darker the skin the less reflected light and the more you need to compensate exposure. However doing so will over expose the background. Ideally to capture it in camera you'd add supplemental fill (flash or reflector). I found this an interesting source of information The Definitive Guide To Always Expose Your Photos Correctly! (Chapter 2) | PhotoPills

Most reactions

Back