Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
2019_0518_18134800.jpg

2019_0518_18194300.jpg

2019_0518_18133000.jpg

Fuji XF-18-135

Nice set. I think the first is my favorite. On the last one, it would have been cool if the phone had been turned around, with camera on, so it showed an image of her on the phone screen.

Thank you! Always great to get feedback.

We had a second evening on the river barge - good photo opportunities.

2019_0519_18081000_20190519205328459.jpg

2019_0519_18324200.jpg

2019_0519_18130800.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the first and last one the warm glow really makes the image. Unfortunately the face appears soft on both. Looking at the EXIF, your shutter speed was more then sufficient that IMO you could have raised the aperture up from the f/5 to give you an expanded DOF that would have allowed you to get the face sharp.

I really like the first and last one the warm glow really makes the image. Unfortunately the face appears soft on both. Looking at the EXIF, your shutter speed was more then sufficient that IMO you could have raised the aperture up from the f/5 to give you an expanded DOF that would have allowed you to get the face sharp.

Yes - with a variable aperture zoom lens that does not have a very wide max aperture, I tend to leave it fully open for portraits, but you're right, I should have stopped it down a bit.

@Tropicalmemories in looking at these again I suspect that you were dealing a little with "Petzval Field Curvature". Basically you have a flat focal plane sensor, but the actual focal plane of the subject is more of a dome because the focal distance changes as you move away from the center point of the lens. The curved black lines being the point of focus.
Field-Curvature.jpg

Modern lenses are designed to minimize field curvature such that the focal length increases with ray angle. However, short focal lengths (anything under 50mm) typically have greater problems with the curvature, while telephotos, have less problems.

In the first one of her standing in the light and even the one with sunglasses, it appears that you were shooting slightly up, something that would have changed the curvature field in relation to the subject. Just a tip to remember when judging your aperture settings to allow enough DOF to compensate.

@Tropicalmemories in looking at these again I suspect that you were dealing a little with "Petzval Field Curvature".

Interesting. I looked back at photos of her sitting, which were taken more straight on - and the focus was sharper throughout the image - so the angle/dof looks to be one issue.

But I think there's also a problem with the mobile app I'm using to resize photos.

The original image is much sharper, and a crop of just her face rather than a resize of the whole image looks better.

2019_0519_18130800-01.jpeg

2019_0519_18081000-01.jpeg

I'm away from home, and resizing was done on a mobile with the Pixlr App - perhaps I also need a better editing App?

Here's a crop and resize using the Lightroom App, I think it looks a bit sharper?

LRM_EXPORT_89575613846652_20190520_035929110.jpeg

But the Lightroom App cannot export a particular size - only 2048, which may be too big for our Forum?

Interesting. These are sharper. I wonder if Lr is somehow providing lens correction?

Interesting. These are sharper. I wonder if Lr is somehow providing lens correction?

I don't think the mobile version of Lightroom has lens corrections?

I think the Pixlr App may have issues with IQ when resizing.

@Tropicalmemories FYI I hope when you get the chance you will repost these after you run them through Lr. I really like the last now!!! Only other suggestion would be to use the adjustment brush on her hair just a tad to lift the shadow, and gain a little detail. Something like this to start.
Capture.JPG

Yes - I'll repost after I can download them to a PC. And I'll try to lift her hair a bit.

I'd like to find a good mobile App - but not Pixlr.

I think the first is the most engaging but very nice group of photos of her. I really don't care for the ones in dark glasses though except where they're reflecting the sunset.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back