Results from 1st Indoor Rodeo shoot...

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nada.... you guys were right.. I came up with ONE that is at least passable - only because the blur 'suggests' speed... This one isn't even good, but it's the best. I stuck around long enough to prove that my lens just isn't good enough, and I need to spend some bucks for a good, fast one.. Also - stuck around long enough to see a Calf break it's leg in the arena... God, I hate Rodeos...

So - what kind of lens would I have to entertain, and how much should I expect to expend on it? - I'll never do a Rodeo again, but will have the opportunity to do indoor/action shots again, and need to upgrade.. I put away the 75-300mm and took this one with my Canon 18-55 IS 1:3.5-5.6 IS Kit lens.. :crazy:
3412915111_81ae0c02fb_b.jpg

For any sports, an 70-200 2.8ish lens is almost mandatory. For indoor sports, it just gets more expensive. I don't even want to know how much a 200 F/2 costs. The 70-300 is a very slow lens, too slow for most sports.

I got similar results from an indoor rodeo. I used the 70-200 2.8 IS, but our rodeo was only have as well lit as your arena appears to be. Another bad factor was airborne dust. We have bad ventalation and the dust was terrible.

Short of setting up a couple of big strobes in key places in the arena, its very difficult to photograph these events.

Another thing to keep in mind....shutter speeds that freeze human motion will not stop many animals movements.....seems we are much slower creatures....well, there are sloths....

Last edited:
What ISO did you shoot at ? if it was just a bit sharper it would be a great shot, i love shots with a bit of movement
Indoor dog agility is the worst i have had to shoot , this shot was 300mm, F2.8, iso3200, 1/640 i would rather be at F4 to get more DOF but a F2.8 lens is the minimum for indoor shots, i would love a 200F1.8 or F2
491249923_Y3wvd-L.jpg

What ISO did you shoot at ? if it was just a bit sharper it would be a great shot, i love shots with a bit of movement
Indoor dog agility is the worst i have had to shoot , this shot was 300mm, F2.8, iso3200, 1/640 i would rather be at F4 to get more DOF but a F2.8 lens is the minimum for indoor shots, i would love a 200F1.8 or F2
491249923_Y3wvd-L.jpg

THAT is a beautiful photograph !! I shot at 1600... I checked around a little and it appears I'm either sticking with nice sunny landscapes, or get a second job .... Those puppys are expensive !!

I actually think the Rodeo shot is pretty cool... yeah, could have been a bit sharper, but it's still a great capture. I'd want to clean up the white balance and crop it a bit, but other than that, I think you sould be pretty proud of it.

AWESOME capture of that dog, btw...

I'm not going to be so kind. You and most other people know it is far from a keeper, BUT, you did post it which will help everybody offer a constructive solution. The answer is very simple.

My suggestion would be to rent some primes, 85mm 1.8, 135mm f2. The lighting in that building didnt look too bad at all. Get a feel for what sort of shots you can get.

The 135mm f2 (the premium indoor lens if you ask me) will sell for around $1,000 and will rent for about $80 for 10 days + SH.
The 85mm f1.8 will sell for around $375 and will rent for about $45 for 10 days + SH.
There is a f1.2 of this lens available, it is about $1,900 and unless you know why you need it, trust me, the f1.8 will do just fine. Try before you buy. I am assuming you are in the US.

Both affordable lens', both ideal for indoor sports. Don't kid yourself, if you are going to these events with a camera body that can be adjusted and have the capability to get great pictures, get the right lens for the job and post some great photos.

Secondly, get a grey card and adjust your custom WB setting for the lighting and get rid of the warmth in your images.

Neither of your posted lens' should even be in your bag at an indoor event. Dont give up so easily.

491249923_Y3wvd-L.jpg

Cool shot!

Ottor, be hard on yourself (but not too hard) and don't give up. The composition was nice. Just work on your gear and settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back