Retro Hollywood Glamour photo

Terry Eaton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
5816630895_54c5f55535_c.jpg

Nicely done. My only niggle here is that the positioning of her left arm, and it's carrying on out of frame feels a bit awkward.

Well done.
Contrast is good.

Wish i could do that!

I like the lighting and wardrobe and expression, but do agree with tirediron that the left arm leading out of the frame (on a diagonal) is less than optimal...but, otherwise, compelling.

Kind of suprised no one asked about the lighting setup...

Kind of suprised no one asked about the lighting setup...

How did you light this? Was a boom stand used to suspend your main light?

What modifier was used for the key? Beauty dish? Small umbrella? Small, gridded sofbox? Speedlight or studio flash?

I tried to mimic the older lighting setups; with higher-than-normal lighting ratios, often 3:1 or even 4:1, that's what gives that look on her face, I will admit i don't remember the actual numbers probably 3:1. These were in a home studio at the time, a large room with a high ceiling. I had an enormous softbox for the general lighting, it was a 6x4, 5 alien bee 800's although for these I just used a few lights. The large softbox was straight behind me. A key light was up high to my right, shining down on her face, this is apparent from the butterfly lighting shadow on her nose. Then, a rim light was used in a cross-lighting setup from the keylight, camera left and behind to pull her out of the shadows a bit. The couch was just an old black used couch I got for the studio as a prop and people to sit and lay on.

Here's one with similar lighting, just reversed... but most of these have high ratios on the face compared to the other lights

49920874441_ea82f7bd5a_o.jpg

Pretty girl. Her forehead is too hot and clipped. Better catch lights would be better to brighten her eyes. Her right arm seems to be narrowed, cut off by the black cloth. Also, there's a button along the edge of her dress that sticks out and should be eliminated. Nice shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back