Retry-Just started cc please

pbrr1der

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started my photography hobby, and I am using a point and shoot camera. I would like some feedback on how I am doing (this is a retry for a failed attempt to upload an image earlier) lol

4559675011_f14fc76689_b.jpg

If it wasn't for the junk in the background and a bit overexposure i think this would be great! I'd like the opinion of someone with a trained eye though

Fundamental advice with regards to portraiture (be it pet photography or humans): watch your backgrounds.

Type of camera is all irrelevant, it can be the type you're using, it can be a "big" camera ... doesn't matter: if the background is cluttered, and a table seems to grow out of the dog's head, there is a major distraction there!

I don't mind the mild overexposure on the fence in the background, you needed that to bring out the detail in your dog's fur. And you did bring it out. That is GOOD!

Fundamental advice with regards to portraiture (be it pet photography or humans): watch your backgrounds.

Type of camera is all irrelevant, it can be the type you're using, it can be a "big" camera ... doesn't matter: if the background is cluttered, and a table seems to grow out of the dog's head, there is a major distraction there!

I don't mind the mild overexposure on the fence in the background, you needed that to bring out the detail in your dog's fur. And you did bring it out. That is GOOD!

I agree 100%. Slight overexposure was necessary, you would have never picked up the dogs fur without it. And the table and especially the hose is a major distraction from the photo.

I also would have prefered that the dogs pose wasn't "spread eagle" and exposing his "doggy parts"

Not much more to say, I agree with LaFoto and Boomn.

Since the dog's fur is so dark, other parts of the scene are bound to become overexposed. Camera's are limited in how much light they can gather from very bright to dark and still have good exposure everywhere. A couple things you can do about it if you don't want the bright background:
- Find a simpler and darker background so the range from the dark fur to the background are closer in brightness.
- Use "fill-flash". Although, with a shiny coat on the dog that can get tricky. Some point and shoot camera's have a fill-flash mode, and some means to compensate (+ or -) exposure and/or flash. Check your manual, it might be worth looking into - it's handy to know how to use fill-flash.

Thanks guys, this actually went from just trying to set the camera manually and try different exposures to some pretty good pics. I really didn't pay too much attention to the background and composition, I was just tryin to learn the camera. I took a few shots with different exposure settings and I like the overexposed pics better for the exact reason you all pointed out.

This was takin with a canon powershot which has most of the options that dslrs have so its a decent camera. I think I'm gona have a nikon d5000 on the way here soon so you will see me on here alot more with pics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back