Ricoh GR: a "street" review

iammine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey mates!

How are you doing?

Just wanted to say that i made a real "street" review of the mighty Ricoh GR.
Have a look to see some good street shots i made with it!

<Link deleted>

Peace,
Giorgio

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Grorgio , great little camera and vastly underrated. I short with it mostly in TVa mode, albeit my shutter speed is mostly 250 as well. But I live in London where I often have to switch to slower speeds due to the bad light. This mode is very useful for that.
Good review, but I would add some negatives as well. To me it is relatively poor high ISO performance for a modern APSC
camera (6400 is much worse that XT1)and high probability of dust on the sensor due to retrackable lense. And you can not clean it.
Otherwise it is a great, great little camera. Snap focus is a very useful feature. And the lenses is indeed crazy sharp. If it dies on me I will buy another one.

Don't know if it's the camera or the post processing that's the problem but to my mind most of the photos on that web site have blocked shadows with virtually zero shadow detail.

Thank you mates for your kind words. The shadows are "strong" because i like it. It's just my way of seeing the light.

Don't know if it's the camera or the post processing that's the problem but to my mind most of the photos on that web site have blocked shadows with virtually zero shadow detail.

It is not the camera, definitely. The sensor is actually quite good there.

Some great images btw. The one with green-yellow-brown pavement is excellent, and blocked shadows are fully justified. Same with twoolicemen, another great shot. The old man with an umbrella is very nice, and shadows are appropriately rendered to my eye. Big fat woman in the red swimsuit is great as well.

18 mm is a difficult lense to shoot a street with, definitely not for a beginner, and the OP is doing very well. Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Hey, Giorgio , what's up ?
I wanted to have another look and the link disappeared.

Hey, Giorgio , what's up ?
I wanted to have another look and the link disappeared.
Per TPF rules, it is not permissible to post an intro with a link to "the rest of the article"; if we allowed that, TPF would quickly become a "click-bait" store and nothing else. I've sent the member a PM informing him of the rules, as well as the fact that he is welcome to post the article here in it's entirety.

Most reactions

Back