Right Angle Spy Lens

OMG I SOOO WANT ONE!!!!

I dont know for sure this is my guess but I would think you would have to keep your lens at a single focal distance and shooting at short range wouldnt work either because the person would be able to see the mirror.

Wow what a creeper accessory. Haha, I feel bad for someone who uses this to take pictures of girls on beaches.

AKA the I'm a desperate perv lens.

Really, if you need a lens that lets you take "spy" pictures, you are doing something wrong to start with. If you are doing candids, get a telephoto, not a creeper lens.

Yes they work, but they have limitations. Theywork best with telephoto lenses as standard and wide angle lenses will viginette in the corners. I have had one for several years. Mine is a different brand, but the same priciple. I rarely ever use it. The last time I used it was at a house fire. I wanted to take pictures of the fire and the expressions of the victims. But i didn't want to be seen doing this. Instead of holding the camera up horzontally and drawing attention to myself, I pointed the camera vertcally to the ground and shot pictures in front of me.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
first time i knew about these "lenses" (they are not actually lenses, but just a mirror "disguised" as a lens) was from a book, one of those general introductions to photography in which they tell you a little bit about everything. they mentioned these kind of lenses just as a curiosity, and argued that they couldn't actually be considered real "spy" lenses, but only some innocent toy to have a little fun now and then. I think they were right.

spazoid1965, you mention that they work best with teles --optically, as you also explain. But then, why should you need one if you're already using a tele? In such case you're supposed to be far enough not to be seen. And as xfloggingkylex says, that is actually the way to go for candid pictures.

On the other hand, if you're not far away, I would say that the accesory is not much discrete, and anyone could easily see the hole with the mirror, so that you'll end up not only as a candid photographer but also as a pathetic one, I'm afraid.

I think the idea is ingenious, but to me the actual result is a totally useless thing in which to spend the money and then to carry in your bag for the sake of a very unlikely "just-in-case"

"my two cents", as you americans say (I first learned this expression from the simpsons' Kent Brockman! ;) )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back