rights when taking photos..

emo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everyone, i just want to ask what are our limitations whene taking photos especially on public places... because a while ago i was in the city & i took some shots on the traffic light, then a traffic enforcer saw what i'm doing & after wards he approached me & asked what i'm doing, i didn't answered his question.. i just asked him "am i doing illegal here?" & we had a little argument... please guide me for my rights & limitions on taking pictures, thanks in advance...

I'm pretty sure there are minimal laws on pics of public property. Also of people. You have the right to any pictures you take. And if you're not tresspassing you're well within your right to shoot anything.

But I'm sure someone here could elaborate.

The problem is that everyone is on high alert because of terrorism. Apparently a dead givaway for a terrorist is a photographer taking pictures of public places. You might call it "recon". Although I really doubt they would be that obvious.

thanks bace & thank you danalec99 for the link... now i know where should i place my self..

emo, I just noticed that you are from Philippines. Rules might be different over there.

danalec99 said:
emo, I just noticed that you are from Philippines. Rules might be different over there.

yes, i'm from the Philippines.. i just cannot find a local forum here about photogrphy & stuffs.. maybe you can guide me for the General Rules when taking photos.. thank you all for the links..

Unfortunately there are no general rules. Every country will have their own laws. In the US, each state may have something extra, also. What the laws are here won't help you at all, and may get you into trouble. You'd be best served getting them from an official local source.

I carry a highlighted copy of that PDF made up by that lawyer. All of my friends also carry one, because we do a lot of abandoned buildings photos, and we get questioned sometimes. Especially when we are photographing the highly infamous "Greystone Mental Hospital"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back